What's new

Captain Kangaroo has died (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I remember growing up during the 70's watching his show on CBS every morning. It was always funny to see Mr. Moose dropping the ping pong balls on him every time, and then see the reaction on his face afterwards as if to say, "Why do I set myself up like this all the time?"

I remember a few years back that they tried a re-cast of the program, but it just didn't have that magic sparkle that Bob Keeshan brought to the show. He WAS and will always be Captain Kangaroo.

Rest in peace, we'll miss you here in this life.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sad news as he and his crew entertained quite a lot of children during their run on morning TV. RIP.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Up until I was about 5 or 6 my parents had a B&W TV. They went to Sears and bought a 25" color console.

Wow how red Capt Kangaroo's coat was :) :) :)

I will so miss Capt Kangaroo.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Quite sad. First Mr. Rogers last year and now this.
I always remember the balls dropping from the ceiling which always amused me.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

And don't forget Sherri Lewis and Lamb Chops, too.

I can still whistle the Captain's opening theme tune.

I'm sad.

Eric C D

Second Unit
:frowning:

I, like me, you came after Howdy Doody but before Sesame Steet or Mr. Rogers, Capt. Kangaroo was *the* children's show we grew up with.

Thank you, Bob Keeshan, and god speed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As somebody who grew up in the early 1960s, I feel like I just lost a big part of my youth. Many a morning, I used to sit in front of my family's television intently watching Captain Kangaroo along with Mr. Green Jeans, Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit.

Over the last year or so, with all of these show business deaths, I'm reminded more and more about my own mortality as I grow older while celebrities I admired in my youth are passing away.

RIP, Captain Kangaroo, you were a good friend to me.

Crawdaddy

Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Greenjeans, Mr.Moose, Dancing Bear all were a wonderful part of my childhood. This show along with Wonderama provided my brothers and me great entertainment, learning and fun.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
A few months ago I heard a story of heroics in WWII involving Bob Keeshan. Paul Harvey's The Rest Of The Story if I'm not mistaken. The NYTIMES obit specifies that he entered the Marine Corps too late to be involved in combat.
Did a search and found some story about he an Lee Marvin on Okinawa.
Anyone know the truth of this?

Jim

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just read this.
I never knew.

I watched Captain Kangaroo all the time when I was a little boy.

Man this is a serious blow to me.

I really hope they do something special for him for the next Emmy awards

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The story of his WWII involvement is a long standing urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/military/keeshan.htm

However, Keeshan did serve with honor in the military for his term, including a run up to South Korea, though he saw no active duty. Keeshan did, however, sign up of his own volition (not draft) and expected to serve. Keeshan received high marks in his military career..

However, keeshan will always be famous for his role as Captain Kangaroo.. between himself and Fred Rogers and others, Keeshan offered a truly original childrens programming that didn't aim to sell toys, gadgets or gizmos. It wasn't based in being the hot new craze. It was just about being willing to sit with your child and watch good TV.

Having two small kids, I tell you, I miss stuff like Captain Kangaroo etc. in comparison to some of the garbage that airs now as kid TV..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks