What's new

Blu-ray Review Captain America: The Winter Soldier Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It sounds like the same kind of problems those of us with Warner DVDs from 2006-2009 have experienced when the disc begins to go bad. Basically one layer has begun to deteriorate. Now, I'm not saying this is what's happening, but it certainly sounds like it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I had the same problem with the 4k disc of The Force Awakens. There was a scene about an hour in where it froze and jumped ahead. I remember having a problem like this with my first DVD player, which used to do this sort of thing a lot. It wasn't the discs, it was the player. I'd turn the player off and try again, and usually it'd be fine. In the case of The Force Awakens, I did find a smudge or two on the disc (thank you, stupid deluxe packaging sleeves!), but even after I wiped it down, the problem persisted to a lesser degree.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I did find a smudge or two on the disc (thank you, stupid deluxe packaging sleeves!), but even after I wiped it down, the problem persisted to a lesser degree.

I don't think packaging is the source of the issue with The Winter Soldier because it is in a standard keepcase. If the problem persists after wiping it down, and if Disney refuses to replace it, I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy another copy. But I would be annoyed to do so.

You need to try to wipe the disc with a micro cloth

Should the cloth be wet or dry? Disney's website recommends a "damp cloth." But I'm weary of wetting it because I don't want to make it worse. What did you do with your disc?

It was late here last night after I posted originally, so I went to bed after that. I'll deal with this today.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions. Unfortunately, cleaning the disc, both with and without water, did nothing. It's stilll skipping in the same spot.

So it looks like I need to replace the disc.

I could buy it again with money (which would be a mild annoyance) or I could use Disney rewards points for it. Unfortunately, the rewards program only has the 3D version at this point, which is a pretty steep 2,000 points. That would do it for me because the 3D version also includes the 2D disc, but it would come pretty close to wiping out my current points total which I've spent the last 8 months accumulating.

Disney used to have a disc replacement program where they would replace it for you for a small fee if you can prove you bought the original, but they don't have that anymore (I know because I asked.) While the failure of my current disc is nobody's fault specifically, and I don't mean to blame anyone, it would be nice if they still stood by their product in that way. I'm sure I'll just bite the bullet and get it, but it's still annoying. I have bought movies multiple times before because of format upgrades or bonus features double dips and don't mind doing that, but it feels just a little bit sadder to be doing it because the disc stopped working and not because I'm getting anything new.

My copy of The Avengers has a stacked disc situation which I hate and which I think may damage the disc at some point, but that's how the case was designed. I also watched that movie this week and it played through just fine like it always has. It is sort of funny in an ironic way that the one that caused me a problem is not the stacked one but The Winter Soldier which is in a single disc keepcase with no stacking issues at all. Weird.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fill out the customer service form on their home video’s generic website. I got them to replace a ten year old copy of Father of the Bride that went bad. If their first response is that they can’t, ask to speak to a supervisor. Just politely explain that your disc stopped working though you didn’t mishandle it, that you’ve been a longtime supporter of their disc releases and that you’re hoping they could help you arrange for a replacement. Worked for me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Fill out the customer service form on their home video’s generic website. I got them to replace a ten year old copy of Father of the Bride that went bad.

Thanks @Josh Steinberg. Do you happen to remember where that link is?

I looked at the bottom of the page on their home entertainment website and was sent here this.

I'm not finding anything like what you described.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll give Disney credit for this being a prompt response as I only sent in the email last night. But I don't like anything else about this response.

Disney said:
Hello Jacob,

Thank you for your email. We regret to inform you that the Disc Replacement Program for damaged discs is no longer available.

If you are experiencing playback issues with one of our DVDs or Blu-ray Discs, please click here for troubleshooting tips that can resolve many of those issues.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or visit us at www.DisneyStudiosHelp.com.

Sincerely,

Patty
Walt Disney Studios Distribution Consumer Relations
US and Canada

Incidentally, this was signed by "Patty," the same representative who helped me the other day and sent me a form email about how to clean a disc. Either that or they have multiple people named "Patty" working for Disney as consumer relations personnel.

If all Disney is going to do to support buyers of their physical media releases is direct people to their website FAQ, then what is the point of paying people to do that at all?

@Josh Steinberg I remember discussing your Father of the Bride issue somewhere around the forum but don't remember how long ago that was. If you got them to replace that and I can't get them to replace this, we might be able to deduce from that when they stopped replacing discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not surprise by that response as I suspect most disc replacement programs involving purchases made several years ago have been discontinued now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll give Disney credit for this being a prompt response as I only sent in the email last night. But I don't like anything else about this response.

Incidentally, this was signed by "Patty," the same representative who helped me the other day and sent me a form email about how to clean a disc. Either that or they have multiple people named "Patty" working for Disney as consumer relations personnel.

If all Disney is going to do to support buyers of their physical media releases is direct people to their website FAQ, then what is the point of paying people to do that at all?

@Josh Steinberg I remember discussing your Father of the Bride issue somewhere around the forum but don't remember how long ago that was. If you got them to replace that and I can't get them to replace this, we might be able to deduce from that when they stopped replacing discs.

Yes, that’s the first response I got. See again my post from last night. Respond to that letter and ask to speak to a supervisor. You’ll likely get a call or email within a few days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not surprise by that response

I agree. I'm not surprised either but it's still disappointing.

The other thing is that The Winter Soldier is 7 years old. If Disney priced their movies like any other studio, the disc would be in bargain bins right now and would cost very little for me to replace. I didn't have Wonder Woman until last year and it cost me $7.50 to pick up before the sequel came out. But because Disney never cuts prices on big titles, The Winter Soldier is $19.99, which is exactly the same as I paid seven years ago when it was new. So it's irritating to spend that much on a replacement which from any other studio would be less.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are tons of used copies of that title. It should be relatively easy to find anywhere that sells used discs. Bullmoose has several available for under $5. I'd try a used copy for a few bucks before I splurged for another full-priced disc and put more cash in Disney's pocket.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I suspect when Jake escalates to a supervisor that they’ll help out. If they did for me two months ago, I can’t imagine they’ve changed that much that quick.

What I think adds to the confusion is that Disney used to have a formal disc registration program where you could register your new disc after purchase, and buy replacements for a $6.95 fee. That program is over. But they should still have some wiggle room at the supervisor level to offer help in the right circumstances. If Jake does as I did, and just politely explains that he’s been a long time collector, bought the other Marvel movies and other Disney titles, etc, I think they’re more likely than not to help. It probably wouldn’t hurt to say that he doesn’t care about getting the exact same packaging, so any edition they have on hand would be fine.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It probably wouldn’t hurt to say that he doesn’t care about getting the exact same packaging, so any edition they have on hand would be fine.

That's a good idea but I didn't think of it before replying and asking for a supervisor. I'll mention it when I get a response. I still have the packaging from the original disc so I would probably swap the new disc into there anyway.

If escalating to a supervisor does not work, then I'll look into ways to replace it myself. But this is worth a shot.

I did finish this viewing of the movie via Disney+ after the disc stopped working, so it's not like I need the movie right now. It's more of a principle thing that buying the same movie over again at full price is irritating.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got this response to my response asking to speak to a supervisor.

Disney said:
Hello Jacob,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding Captain America: The Winter Soldier. We value your interest in Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment!

We are concerned about your inquiry and would like an opportunity to address this issue with greater detail. Doing so through email can prove to be very difficult.

Please contact us at 1-800-723-4763 (Canada: 1-888-877-2843), Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m Pacific Time so that we may assist you.

When calling, please give your reference number:

When I called, the person I spoke with said he would like to exchange the disc for me but that it is out of stock, so they can't do anything. I said that I don't care about getting the same packaging so I would take any version with the movie on it, and he said they are not allowed to upgrade me to a new edition. So they asked me to call for essentially no reason other than to tell me that they won't replace it, which seems like a huge waste of my time.

The version that I originally bought back in 2014 was a Blu-ray only version because back then the digital copy was only included with the Blu-ray 3D edition. Now, they have repackaged the existing 2D Blu-ray movie disc with a digital copy code and inferior package art. My edition is unavailable because Disney chose to reissue the movie with a digital copy. So, basically, they're unwilling to "upgrade" me to a version which has a digital copy I didn't pay for in the first place. The guy also suggested that if I am going to replace the disc on my own, I should buy it digitally because discs have a life span before they go bad and digital doesn't.

This seems completely ridiculous to me. They could give me the version with the digital copy if they wanted to and they don't want to. I'm not really sure what the point of any of this was.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I responded again and asked (in as nice of a tone as I could muster) what the point was of them asking me to call them just to tell me that they couldn't do anything. I also said that it would seem like a very small thing for Disney to do to send me a new disc. I received this response.

Disney said:
Hello Jacob,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your comments and will forward your email to the correct department for consideration.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or visit us at www.DisneyStudiosHelp.com.

Thank you,

Paul Anthony
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Customer Relations

I'm not sure what this means. If they will forward it to a different department, does that mean there's still a shot they could send me the disc, or no? It seems really intentionally vaguely worded. At what point did you get a yes, @Josh Steinberg?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got a yes when a supervisor called me, but in my case, the SKU I wanted replaced was still in print so I didn’t have the same issue.

I would say at this point, the product you purchased is technically out of print and they can’t replace a product they no longer make. Your best bet is probably DMR points or a used copy on eBay for about $5.

You could also put a wanted post in the HTF classifieds, there may be some members here who bought the BD and then upgraded to UHD, and someone might have an extra copy they’d let go of inexpensively.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would say at this point, the product you purchased is technically out of print and they can’t replace a product they no longer make.
I get that, but they still make the disc. I'm sure the only thing different about the reissue is the cover art. So I don't really see that as a big deal myself. It's not like it is a Disney animated classic spending several years in their vault if the exact same disc is still available in different packaging. But that solution is too easy for them to do.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
DMR points

That's exactly what I did. With no further response from Disney today even though they were extremely prompt over the last few days, I gave up and just ordered it as a reward. II hated using that much because they only had the 3D-inclusive edition I don't need and it was a very high 2,000 points. But of course that has a new 2D disc in it so it still solves my problem. This way I will get a fresh start with a new disc I know will be clean and I don't have to put more money into Disney's pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks