What's new

Can You Help Me Decipher These Service Menu Terms? (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks to another member of this forum I have discovered the joys of tweaking my 27-inch Panasonic's service menu.
I have the squeeze trick set just about where I want it for 16:9, now I'm trying to figure out which terms refer to grayscale and color decoder. I'm pretty sure I know which group each term belongs to (i.e. "White Balance" is grayscale), but I don't know what each individual term means ...
Anybody want to help me take a crack at this? If you think you know what any of these mean - and how they could be used - please weigh in.

Here are the terms as listed in the manual:

I. DAC Adjustments

Sub Color
Sub Tint
Sub Brightness
Sub Contrast
RF AGC1
Sub Brightness for AI

II. White Balance (W.B.) Adjustments

R Cut-Off
G Cut-Off
B Cut-Off
User Brightness
Sub Brightness
R Drive
B Drive
R Drive Offset - Cool
B Drive Offset - Cool
R Drive Offset - Warm
B Drive Offset - Warm

IV. Options Adjustments

Pre shoot/Overshoot
Black Expansion Gain
White Gamma Level
White Gamma Gain
Small Gamma Gain
R-Y Demodulation Angle
R-Y Demodulation Gain
G-Y Ratio SW
White Letter Compensation
White Letter Slice Voltage
Filter
R Offset
B Offset

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sub Color ... for colour
Sub Tint ... for tint
Sub Brightness
Sub Contrast ... for contrast

R Cut-Off ... grayscale darks
G Cut-Off ... gs
B Cut-Off ... gs

R Drive ... gs brights
B Drive ... gs brights
R Drive Offset - Cool ... ditto
B Drive Offset - Cool ... ditto
R Drive Offset - Warm ... ditto
B Drive Offset - Warm ... ditto

R-Y Demodulation Angle ... colour decoder
R-Y Demodulation Gain ... colour decoder
G-Y Ratio SW ... colour decoder

You kill the TV ... you pay for the repairs ... none of this fraud stuff.

Regards

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Michael - thank you! I was convinced I would never get a response to my question!
May I ask a follow up question?

"R-Y Demodulation Angle ... colour decoder
R-Y Demodulation Gain ... colour decoder
G-Y Ratio SW ... colour decoder"

I want to decrease red-push in my set. Which means using the colour decoder and the AVIA colour decoder pattern to lower the amount of red.
But which of the three colour decoder settings listed above should be used to lower amount of red? What is the difference, for instance, between R-Y Angle and R-Y Gain? Is there a way I could figure this out on my own by experimenting with them?

QUOTE:
"You kill the TV ... you pay for the repairs ... none of this fraud stuff."

I'm guessing this is in reference to the possibility I might wreck my TV with the service menu? Then try to take it back from where ever I got it claiming the problem isn't my fault?
Not a chance. I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. This TV is over five years old and I bought it from a Washington state company, SIMS, that has long since gone out of business. There is no warranty; I'm totally on my own here. I'm just trying to squeeze some more life out of my set while I save toward my first HDTV, which is a ways off.
If there was a decent tech in my area of Mendocino County believe me I would pay to have my set tweaked to perfection, or as close as it can come to perfection, but I talked to the only shop in town and the people I spoke with seemed to know far less than most of the people on this forum do. So it is just down to me.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
The red is the R-Y items ... both of them. Use the red filter and change the parameters. You will see what I mean. Each controls a different aspect of the colour red.
You will want to change the G-Y too to balance out your greens ... green filter ...
Just wanted to make sure that you were the responsible type ... since there are enough of those on the board that don't seem to be ... :)
Back to the colour decoder ... for me, while filters are good, I let my eyes be the final judge. Use a very familiar skin tone ... (I use jennifer/chip chart in VE) and vary the three parameters and watch what it does to the skin tone. When you visually settle on the best fit ... you will never have to worry about decoder issues again as things will look right to you from now on.
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks