What's new

Can I put this 5 channel amp to use? (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I have two HK signature series 2.1 amps(100wpcx5). I am using one in my current 5.1 set up which is as follows
Front- Infinity IL60
Rear- Infinity IL50
Center- Infinity IL36c
Sub -Infinity IL120s
Prepro- Proceed Pav/PDSD.
The amps are not bridgable. Also the speakers donot have
inputs to biamp.
Is there a way to combine the two amps for increased wattage??
Would using one amp to drive the fronts and the other to drive rears and center make any improvement? Although the amp is quite capable of driving all five simultaneously .
Any suggestions?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your current amp has enough power to drive everything, another amp probably isn't going to gain you a significant improvement, but you've got nothing to lose by trying it.

DO NOT try to hook both amps up to the speakers at the same time, you will damage both amps.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I can see no good reason to use both amps. I'm sure the Signature can deliver its rated power to all channels simultaneously (unlike many receivers), so using one of them for the fronts and another for the rears isn't going to be any benefit. In the end you'll have five vacant amplifier channels, whether on one amp or distributed between two.

Since you can’t bridge the amps, and you can’t bi-amp your speakers, it looks like your second amp is pretty much dead in the water. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, since there’s a good chance that bridging or bi-amping would have delivered no noticeable improvement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks