Can I put my sub behind a front speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric T, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Here is my front wall setup:
    L---HDTV/Center--sub--R
    This fills up the whole wall. All of my electronics are on top of the TV [​IMG] I was thinking of moving the sub behind the R speaker so that I have room to place an equipment rack where the sub is now. I don't have enough room to put the sub between the TV and L speaker.
    Is this advisable? I know that subs are supposedly non-directional, I'm just wondering if I will lose anything by having another speaker in front of it.
    BTW, my speakers are:
    -Polk RT12 fronts
    -Polk CS250 center
    -Polk f/x300i surrounds
    -Velodyne 12" sub

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Shouldn't lose anthing, and getting it tighter to the corner may actually improve things.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Eric, That is what I am planning on doing also. I have my B&W 602S2's pulled out a pretty good distance from the wall, and am a little nervous about the effects on my overall imaging of placing a 20-39PCi behind my front right speaker (in a corner).

I'm not quite ready to order yet, I will put the question to Tom or Ron when I am, along with the dimensions of my room, cause I may need TWO 20-39PCi's for this size room.

Good luck to you!

Pete

4. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Thanks for the replies Dustin and Pete. I just picked up an AV rack, so I will experiment a bit tonight with placements. My instincts tell me that putting the sub in the back won't make much difference....I used to have a sub in the trunk of my car, and it sounded great, so putting one behind a rather narrow speaker like the RT12 probably won't have much impact on the sound.

5. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator