What's new

Can I just use the DVD built in processors? (1 Viewer)

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Nakamichi AVR500 that I love (made in 1999). It has an internal ProLogic processor and analog inputs for Dolby Digital 5.1 but it doesn’t have an internal 5.1 decoder. If I buy a DVD player such as the Denon 2200 with 5.1 outputs will I be able to use all of the decoders built into the DVD? The spec sheet says: Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and discrete SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs.

Thanks,
Ian

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR100. It has a built in DD decoder but no DTS. I recently upgraded my DVD player to a Panasonic S55S that has built in DD, DTS, and DVD-A decoders. It works very well. I was concerned that the DVD's decoders wouldn't work as well as those on the HK but I was willing to upgrade to get DTS and DVD-A. In comparing the two decoders I can not tell a difference. I definately think replacing the DVD player was more cost effective than upgrading my receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Considering you will have to have the anlog outputs hooked from the 2200 to your receiver to hear SACD and DVD-A, you should have no problem using them for movies as well. In this case, you have no choice anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks