Can I just use the DVD built in processors?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ian_J, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Ian_J

Ian_J Stunt Coordinator

I have a Nakamichi AVR500 that I love (made in 1999). It has an internal ProLogic processor and analog inputs for Dolby Digital 5.1 but it doesn’t have an internal 5.1 decoder. If I buy a DVD player such as the Denon 2200 with 5.1 outputs will I be able to use all of the decoders built into the DVD? The spec sheet says: Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and discrete SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR100. It has a built in DD decoder but no DTS. I recently upgraded my DVD player to a Panasonic S55S that has built in DD, DTS, and DVD-A decoders. It works very well. I was concerned that the DVD's decoders wouldn't work as well as those on the HK but I was willing to upgrade to get DTS and DVD-A. In comparing the two decoders I can not tell a difference. I definately think replacing the DVD player was more cost effective than upgrading my receiver.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Considering you will have to have the anlog outputs hooked from the 2200 to your receiver to hear SACD and DVD-A, you should have no problem using them for movies as well. In this case, you have no choice anyway.