What's new

Can component video handle 720p/1080i? (1 Viewer)

Peter Ping

Agent
Can anyone tell me definitively whether or not component video connection is able to truly handle HD signals of 720p/1080i? Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What do you mean by "handle"? And what makes you think a component connection can't "handle" these types of signals?

Most people here who have HD boxes (cable, satellite or otherwise) are connecting them via component connections.

M.

Peter Ping

Agent
What I mean by "handle" is the ability to maintain the high resolution rather than down-converted to 480p. I have read somewhere that component video connections are unable to maintain the true high resolution video signals at 720p and 1080i.

If that is not the case, the benefit of DVI and HDMI is lmited to the avoidance of redundance D/A conversions for possible pure digital signals. Right?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So much disinformation out there ... (I heard from a bum on the street that HD isn't working out ... is it true?!!)

:D

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
Component cables handle 480p, 720p, and 1080i extremely well. Or at least my eyes say so anyways.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'd guess that component video cables can handle 720p and 1080i signals just fine.

The bigger problem is the paranoid Hollywood types who do not want to "allow" 720p and 1080i over analog component video cables. They'd much prefer that you use some copy-perverted interface like DVI-HDCP.

Starting in 2005 (?), the FCC will require new HDTV tuners with analog (component video) outputs to downgrade 720p and 1080i signals before sending them to such outputs. There's no requirement in the Copyright Act that the FCC make such a rule, and this rule conflicts with fundamental principles laid out in the Supreme Court's Betamax decision. Not that either of those considerations stopped the FCC.

If you already have a HDTV-ready set, and you need a full-resolution tuner that can plug into one of your sets of component video inputs, be sure to get the tuner this year. You might not have a chance next year.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
P.S. - And check the specs of the tuner carefully, to make sure that the manufacturer hasn't already included the forced resolution down-conversion "feature".

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

And how many VCR's out there can record component video?

"Zero"

So we're doing all this to block these "nonexistent" vcr's from recording analog HD ....

Regards

David WS

Stunt Coordinator

It was my understanding that it was Hollywood and other content providers that wanted the down conversion and that the FCC has yet to decide if they will allow it to happen. As far as I've read, the FCC is on our side on the "full HD via analog connections" issue and hollywood is against us.

I own an HD set without DVI and really hope the FCC comes down on the side of the consumer not the provider on this issue.

Clayton_T

Grip
I too own an HD set without DVI inputs. This is the first I have heard of this situation. I beleive the record industry tried to outlaw tape recorders back in the 70's. Hopefully this effort will have the same result!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

See the CNET article Are PCs next in Hollywood piracy battle?.

The FCC officials quoted there seem pretty happy about forcing copy protection flags into broadcast TV. When digital recording is possible, the recordings must be crippled so you can only play them back on the exact same device that made the recording. No playing back a tape of Sesame Street made in the family room in Junior's room, you scum-sucking pirate!

In re-reading the article, I don't see a requirement for the down-resolution of the converted analog signal for a flagged broadcast. However, the article uses the adjective "high-quality" in reference to digital output to devices that support copy protection, and does not use the adjective "high-quality" with respect to analog output. Why the difference in terminology?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Then those Hollywood types and other content providers better come out and pay for my HDTV's upgrade to a DVI input or buy me a new set! :angry:

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
Crap! I've read in the past that these decisions were not yet made. Since the FCC committee vote in that CNET article was 3-2 you can tell that this is a very undecided issue. One of the defenses to the Copyright/broadcast flag technology has been that the majority of HD capable TVs in use don't have HDCP chips installed. This will change as DVI with HDCP becomes standard but nearly ALL of the early adopters will pay the price.

I totally agree with you Carlo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks