Home Theater hook-up question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by KurtTP, Jul 21, 2006.

1. KurtTP

KurtTP Auditioning

Hope I explain this right. I have a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV
    Model: HL-S6186W, Samsung High Def Conversion DVD Player Model: DVD-HD860, Yamaha HTR-5850 AV Receiver, and a DIRECTV H20 HD Receiver. My question is, can I hook it all up in the following way?
    Can I hook both the DVD player and HD receiver to the TV with HDMI (the TV has two HDMI inputs) separately. Then hook up audio only (optical or coax) to the AV receiver from the DVD player, and then the HD Receiver, basically not even using the AV receiver to handle any of my video signals? I ask this because my AV receiver does not have an HDMI input at all. It does have, I believe 2 component video. But I need the DVD player hooked up through HDMI in order for it to up-convert 480p DVD’s to 720p or 1080i it requires HDMI. At any rate, can I basically hook up my video to be handled independently from the Satellite and DVD player respectively, and let the AV receiver handle all the audio responsibilities separate even though HDMI handles both? Hope this makes sense, thanx in advance for any and all replies.

Regards

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kinda got lost there, but if you’re asking if you can send HDMI to the TV for video, and digital coax or optical to the receiver for audio, the answer is “yes.” Just make sure you keep the TV’s volume turned down.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Kurt. Welcome to HTF!

Your idea will work great. HDMI straight to the TV, but audio to the receiver.

This is exactly the way the purists among us tend to hook things up so the reciever does not create an additional break in the video path.

The one argument against this hookup: ease of use.

To switch from one source to the other will involve 2 remotes:

- one to switch to the new video source
    - one to switch to the matching audio source

A universal remote like one of the Harmony units can give you a one-button solution to this.

Hope this helps.

4. KurtTP

KurtTP Auditioning

Thanks Wayne
    Sorry my question was so confusing. I guess what I was trying to ask was, if I could have the HD receiver and TV directly connected to each other for video. Having the DVD player connected directly to the TV for video (using HDMI for both). Completely ignore the AV receiver as far as video responsibilities. Turn off the built in speakers for the TV, and then hook the HD receiver and DVD player to the AV receiver for audio only with either coax or optical. Most people I am sure use their AV receiver as the main HUB to handle audio and video. I am just short on inputs with my receiver, so I thought I would see if this works on paper first before I buy all the cables. Anyway, thank you for your time.

Regards

5. KurtTP

KurtTP Auditioning

Awsome!!
    That is all I needed to know. The whole HDMI thing was confusing me since it handles both video and audio, I did not know if this would conflict with the AV receiver handling just audio. But thank you much for the replies.

Regards

6. Ryan_Papineau

Just as a followup to the original question...when splitting the audio and video outputs from the various components and then using coax or optical instead of the HDMI, is there any quality difference? Is HDMI better than coax/optical for sound or are they equal?

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    HDMI is a digital delivery protocol that delivers both audio and video digitally (my apologies for the less-than-eloquent description). Therefore it should sound no different than regular optical or coax methods.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt