What's new

Can component cable be replace by simple rca for a quick fix??? (1 Viewer)

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a vew TV and went a little over budget and have no money left for top quality component cable. On my last TV since I only had composite connection (RCA) I bought the best quality RCA cable I could find. For a temporary fix can I use those cable to do a component connection, or do I risk dammaging something, would it be better just to use composite connection in the meantime.

What exactly is the difference between composite cable and component cable? Just comparing cable (I already know the difference when talking about connections and the way the signal is split)

Thanks
Rob

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The cables are the same. It's just that you use 3 of them for component and 1 for composite.

KrisA

Auditioning
I really do not want to start a debate/war over the advantages of good cable. Such advantages are more critical for high end applications which include large screen projectors, scalers etc.

For the most part, the $2 radio shack cables should do just fine for you. Just try to use ths shortest cable possible.

Video cables are usually at 75 ohms impedence. These kinds of cables would be essential for long runs (8 ft or more). Digital audio cables (not optical but AC3 RF out) are also at 75 oms (some say that they are at 110 ohms but I am not sure).

Audio cables may be at 56 ohms but I am not sure.

What does this all do for you. Probably nothing. Again, I am not trying to start a heated debate about the merits of the fancy cables. I am sure those of you with good/expensive cables have made a wise decision.

Rob: For now, just use any cable you can find and enjoy your new purchase. If you don't believe me, try borrowing expensive cables, if you can, from a local high end A/V store and see if they make any difference. I would be interested to know if you really find an improvement (I doubt it). If you are wondering if the cheap cables would damage your equipment - it would not. You need not worry about the damage.

Good Luck.

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. Actually this is just a temporary fix until I get better cable in the weeks to come. My only concern was if I could do any damage by using simple rca cable on component jack, or will it just be a question of video quality for a while.

Rob

KrisA

Auditioning
Rob:

As I wrote earlier, please do not hesitate to use the cheap RCA cables for component inputs.

If you do buy expensive cable, please be sure that it is returnable. Perhaps you can post your experience after that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks