What's new

can CD be 5.1? (1 Viewer)

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I was at www.nin.com and trent is releasing a remix of the downward spiral in 5.1. If you don't listen to Nine Inch Nails, he layers lots of sounds (a lot go unheard) in songs so 5.1 would be cool.

Anyway I know there are DTS CD's but is that the only way this can be a CD. What can play DTS CD's, DVD players? I know he could release this album as SACD or DVD-A as well but those require me to hookup 6 cables to my receiver instead of the optical/digital coax output :frowning:

He does not say what format he is using for this album.

dan fritzen

Second Unit

Maybe, although he has used DD and DTS on the last DVD he made.

Is a DTS CD compatible with a regular CD player?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Yes. Anything that can play a regular CD can also play a DTS CD. But if the signal is fed to anything other than a DTS decoder, the results will be noisy at best and destructive at worst.

M.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
dts cds will play in a dvd player, then take the optical/coax to your receiver with dts decoding and you're set.

AricB

Second Unit
I almost had to check my pants after reading that! Hopefully it doesnt take a nother year or 2 to get it out. crossing fingers for high res.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
yeah I just read an article on Yahoo News and ran over here to tell everyone. Good thing I searched for threads first. I would assume it would be hi-res. just becuase I dont know of any dts cd's period. are there any? and where would you find them?

AricB

Second Unit
their mixed in with DTS DVD-A at Best Buy's you have to look for the additional DVD-A logo, otherwise it is only a dts-cd, previously Gaucho, Police hits, Don Henley and others have dts-cd's out, check DTSEntertainment.com

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes they can but only in a dvd player. And you get the low resolution DTS 5.1 layer not the hi-res DVD-A layer. But it still sounds great to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks