Calling all book collectors

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveGTP, Jul 5, 2003.

1. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Hi,
    I don't start a new thread very often. I did a couple of searches, but didn't find a thread on this. I'm mainly a fantasy/sci-fi reader. I have started trying to pick up used hardcovers lately, instead of just buying new paperbacks at Waldenbooks. I was also thinking of upgrading some of my favorite paperback series to hardcovers and ebaying off the paperbacks. Wondering if anyone else has done this.

The main question I had was about dust jacket protectors. I have always avoided them since they would be stuck to the book, but, some internet hunting finds that I should get some. Apparently there are some very good ones that won't damage the dust jackets. I was wondering if anyone could recommend someplace to get some good dust jacket protectors.

Thanks!

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Most collectors and used bookstores use Brodart products. You can get their archival quality jacket covers in sheets or rolls then all you do is insert the dustjacket and fold and trim the plastic. Here's their website: http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_page...protection.htm

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Thanks for the reply, Michael, I will check them out!

4. andrew markworthy

You could always (as I do) collect Folio Society editions - they mostly come in slip cases. Hold on - can you get covers for slip cases? [​IMG]

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I used to collect Folio editions, but had too many problems with their quality control.

But the slip cases were a nice feature.

As for dust jacket protectors, they often just gloss up the appearance of an already deteriorated dust jacket.

Plus they can attract dust (the electrostatic quality of the plastic I suppose)

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

One thing to be careful about: the Brodart people can be pretty sloppy in their use of the word "archival." The only truly archival plastic material is Mylar D, and most dust jacket protecters aren't made of that material. Thus they can, over long periods of time (especially if subjected to light and/or heat) yellow the jacket or the book itself.

Mylar's pretty expensive, though, so most people go for the lower-grade covers. For my not-so-valuable books I use Demco's Paperfold covers, with a white paper lining on the inside. www.demco.com search for paperfold. They're also less than accurate about the term 'archival' but I've yet to see any deterioration on covers I've had in place for 25 years.

7. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

I'm not a collector, myself.

If you haven't had any luck yet with your search, you might try your local library. Talk with them about what they use to cover their books, and see whether it is what you want, what you can afford, and where you can get it.

It is possible, if you aren't talking bunches and bunches of books, that they might cover them for you for a small price, or possibly sell you enough of their supplies so you can do it yourself.

Just a thought.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not a real collector, just someoe who is moving to hardcovers as much as possible now, and I want to protect my investment. [​IMG] I read pretty rapidly, so my books see plenty of use - I also take them to work quite frequently. I am mainly concerned with getting good covers that will protect the books without using tape or adhesives. The Demco covers sound like a good suggestion. [​IMG]

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Demco's website currently has a $10 off any $50 website order, through July 31, for those who are interested. Don't know if you're going to go that high, but if you are it's worth knowing. The promotional code is "July Coupon"

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Thanks for the coupon, Mark!

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Raising up this thread from a few weeks ago- I haven't picked up DJ covers yet, because I'm a little confused on sizing - I'm still not sure which size to get. I'm mainly looking at first edition, modern (say within the past 10 years or so) hardcovers. I took a few measurements, but I wasn't sure which part of the book was considered height, width, etc. I was looking at the Demco Mylar Dust Jacket covers (won't link properly) and the Brodart covers here: http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/p...dGrid_bookmark There are also the Brodart just-a-fold covers, but I can't really tell the difference between them and the standard covers from the brief description. Any help, guys?