What's new

Calibrating with Avia (1 Viewer)

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently purchased 3 DVD players for evaluation. I went thru the Avia setup with each of the player. The color and hue were very similar on each of the players but contrast and black level was very different on each. These setting also affect the picture when I switch to DSS.

On to my question. How do I calibrate for DSS since the settings are different depending on the DVD player I choose? What type of source should I use.......

Thanks

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
There's no perfect way to calibrate for anything other than a DVD picture since you just have Avia on the DVD only. The best approximation is to connect a DVD player via S-video connection (assuming that's how your DSS is connected) and set the DVD player to "Lighter" black level. That will most closely approximate what your DSS receiver will be putting out. It will be an approximation but that calibration should be in the ballpark. You can always fine-tune by eyeball if you don't like the result. BTW, don't forget to set the DVD player back to "Darker" when you're done (I've made that mistake before).

Most people use two different stored settings on the TV to hold the calibrated setting for DSS and DVD separately. On my Sony 36XBR800 I use "Pro" for the DVD and "Movie" for my DSS/OTA/Cable calibration. You're unlikely to find a single set of settings that will look good on both kinds of sources.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.

I thought that I was missing something but I guess Im not.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I too have (at least) two different settings. My 34XBR800 is noticeably darker, or, put another way, more color saturated using the 1080i signal from my Hughes STB than when using the 480i signal from the same box (via S-Video). The best I can do to simulate this is to calibrate from my DVD using the component connections from my DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks