Cable management "tricks"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Romberg, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mike Romberg

Mike Romberg Auditioning

I will be buying a new cabinet in the next few weeks that has an open design on the back of it. I'm interested in hearing any tricks or suggestions on how to manage wires for up to 6 components or maybe just tell us what you have done with your wires??

2. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

LET EM' HANG

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well I like to put my receiver/amp on the lowest shelf for stability and it lets all those heavy 12 speaker wires flow out onto the floor. Otherwise you fight through a golden waterfall to do anything in back.

I loosly route the power cords to one side of the rack and mounted a power-strip there.

The various interconnects are allowed to hang freely down the middle and are bundled with velcro strips available from good hardware stores or stereo stores.

This keeps things fairly managable.

I also strongly recommend you label the end of each interconnect. Trying to record something through my receiver did not work so I tried to trace the in/out cables without labels and it was darn near impossible.

Radio Shack sells a nice little packet of wire labels that you write on and then wrap the attached tape over the label so it never fades/smears.

Good Luck.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i use the wiring loom you can find at radio shack. i also buy the type of wire-ties that you can reuse...not the zip-tie type. i use the widest loom i can find for the power-cords. then i'll use the appropriate diameter loom for the rest of the cables.

i run all the electrical down one side of the rack and all the signal cable down the other. then i run the speaker wire up the middle.

i try not to run the electrical and signal cables parallel to each-other. this may cause hum in the system. if i have to cross the cables, i try to do so at a 45-degree angle.

depending on the length of your cables, you may have to do a loop of some sort to "shorten" the cables to a manageable length before bundling them up.

my rack is also open at the back and it looks pretty decent...

5. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Ted Lee flex loom is the easiest and most cosmetically pleasing. Check out my website for a few examples around the edges and in the rack