What's new

Buying this week, need help from Sanyo PLV-Z1 owners (2 Viewers)

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I have another question though, how big is the 4:3 image compared to the 16:9? It is still "cinematic" in scale right? I ask because I know for a fact the Z1 is a native 16:9.
The 4:3 image is in the normal 4:3 scale. The projector has three modes, 1-Full Screen (for wide screen material). 2-Zoom (to zoom in on 4:3 and fill the whole screen). 3-4:3 mode with the black bars on the sides.

I basically view material in the correct mode and skip the zoom mode. Although the Zoom mode works well with letterbox DirectTV material. Its the only way to get the correct scale on 4:3 letterbox stuff.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I don't think they have the free screen anymore it looks like a free JVC dvd player with the 1HD now>> ...you would probably actually have to talk to them directly...I thik if I do get this 1HD it will be locally and for close to the same price.....

Robert Ma

Second Unit
You may want to try and email them to check. The last I saw it was either the screen or the DVD player.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Robert, I'm about to order the Boxlight. Is there some way you could send me all or most of your current settings?

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Larry,

User mode...
Contrast & brightness 32
Color 30
Hue 32

Red 25
Green 23
Blue 29

Service mode...
(press and hold Input and Menu buttons on projector simultaneously for
seconds) WRITE YOUR ORIGINAL VALUES DOWN - press the power button on the
remote once to exit service mode...
1 red bias 140
2 green bias 130
3 blue bias 140

7 red gain 546
8 green gain 510
9 blue gain 546

Andrew, condrags! Be sure to post your settings once its tweaked.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I plan on doing just that. Its supposed to rain all weekend so I might spring for next day air to make sure I get it in time:)

Mark Beise

Agent
I just wanted to add my experiences with projectorshopper.com in case anyone else was on the fence about buying a projector from them. I ordered a Boxlight Matinee from them last Tuesday morning online and specified for them to send it 3 day air and pitched an extra 19 bucks at them to do so. It is now more than a week later and I have yet to receive it. Im not gonna tell anyone not to order from them but I will say to not bother with 1, 2, or 3 day shipping since it looks like youll be waiting forever for this thing anyways. I initially tried ordering it by calling there number at 1-866-776-5747 because I wanted to make sure they sent me the free screen but after trying for 4 days and not getting through once I gave up and ordered online. I left messages with both Andrew Renk and Karen Mahoney on Saturday simply asking them to call or e-mail me back with a tracking number so I could see where the holdup is and here it is late Tuesday night and I havent heard back a thing. I can't imagine the nightmare I'll have to go through if the things damaged after I receive it and have to try and return it. This is an excellent price on the Z-1/Boxlight Matinee, especially with the free screen, but Im really beginning to wonder if its really worth all this hassle. Think twice before dealing with projectorshopper.com.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Mark, there was a thread on another forum asking for input on online vendors and projectorshopper recieved several negative comments similar to your's. People say their emails and phone calls are slow to be returned or are not returned at all and projectors arrive late as well. But I've never heard of anyone recieving damaged projectors from the company. It just sounds like they aren't always honsest with customers about how long an order will take.

I just pulled the trigger on my Z1 order after months and months of waiting. I bought from General Audio at the cheapest price I could find, even thought the guy there told me they didn't have any Z1s stock and were having a hard time dealing with Sanyo, which "moved their warehouse without telling anybody." But at least the Audio guy wasn't telling me they had the projectors ready to ship when they didn't, even though he risked losing my business by being honest in this instance. I also paid $25 extra for two day air. I'll be pretty pissed if they end up shipping my projector a week from now and I still pay the extra $25, but the Audio guy said he should know by Thursday morning when Sanyo will be shipping, and I could switch to the free five day ground if there was a delay...We'll see. Wish us both luck.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Mark,
That is why I will probably order my HD1 thru my local HI Fi shop and not get anything free but at least I won't have to deal with the problems thru online places....and can deal with them directly. I actually emailed studio experience and they sent the info to my local hi-fi shop where a friend of mine works....I also asked him if I do order it from him once I have it set up if I can compare it to the Sharp Z90U if they still have there display unit..

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I believe if it is deffective you deal with Studio Experience directly. I contacted them before I bought it from projectorshopper.com and confirmed that they were an authorized dealer.

I agree with the above statements about projectorshopper. The problem is most of us have wanted a projector for so long and when we finally pull the trigger, who wants to wait 3 weeks to get it. I was pulling my hair out after the 2nd week but then I relaxed and that last week went quick.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
My CRT projector broke just as my summer vacation was starting. I ordered a 1HD from projectorshopper to tide me over til the new models came out and their screen deal was great. I upgraded to a 92" wide Highpower model for extra cost.

They told me that it would only take 2 days for the projector to reach me from Arizona even though I didn't ask. A week went by and no projector. I had to threaten to cancel my order to get them to move on it, and I ended up receiving it a week and a half after ordering it. Now it's in perfect shape, I have no complaints about the projector, it just seems they drag their feet to deliver it.

Oh, BTW, I ordered the deal on August 19th, and I still haven't received the screen. I have sent 3 emails with absolutely no response...

Mark Beise

Agent
I am seriously considering calling the Better Business Bureau on projectorshopper.com. They cannot operate a business like this and I regret doing business with them.

Mark Beise

Agent
I just got my tracking number e-mailed to me as of yesterday and its supposed to be here Thursday so Im somewhat excited about that. 16 days though is still pretty pathetic in this day and age. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be waiting another couple weeks for the free screen since they didnt even mention that in the e-mail for the tracking order. Has anyone actually received the free screen that was supposed to be given with the Boxlite Matinee/Z-1 from projectorshopper.com and if so how long did it take to get it?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Mark they don't have the free screen anymore looks like just the free DVD player.
Was it free shipping on this item?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys got the PJ installed fairly quickly and proceeded to calibrate it tonight once my Avia disc returned from the guy that was borrowing it. Much to my surprise it barely needed any adjustments since it was nearly spot on! I now know what they mean though about the thing smelling like burning plastic...guess that goes away pretty qucikly but boy does it smell . Anyway I've tossed a bunch of demo material at it as well as watching The Saint tonight and I'm pretty impressed. I can easily see screendoor at 10 feet with my glasses on but it didn't bother me that much. I did see a ton of image artifacts though that I've never noticed before (compression artifacts etc) so I guess I'm going to now get much pickier on what I call a reference transfer! Its very quite in econo mode which honestly was a big concern of mine so that was a welcome relief...as is that fact i don't have to point the remote at the PJ at all for it to work. I wasn't sure how well my DIY PJ mount would work but its not to bad. Its not as sturdy as I'd like so I'll be rethinking how I built it but at least not I know exactly what and where it needs to be etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks