What's new

Buying Playboy for the articles (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Walking by an antique store in my neighborhood and I see this huge Playboy magazine in the window with the small words in the corner, "Braille Edition".
I would have never imagined that it got translated into Braille

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, you can probably trace outlines and such... probably works for the target audience...

--
Holadem

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Think it's just words that are translated....but I cant say for sure
probably works for the target audience...
Blind people???

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yeah a friend of mine is blind and he gets the braille edition of Playboy. It's just the articles. Sorry for the Steve Christou types around here that dream of the "feel the graphics" version, but that's not what the braille edition of Playboy contains.

(As I prepare for a Sandra storm trouper attack.......)

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, for decades, some of the best magazine writing in the country -- fiction and otherwise -- could be found in Playboy. You'd certainly recognize their regular contributors... guys with names like Fleming, Updike, and Silverberg.

Unfortunately, by the late 80s it was going downhill fast. I haven't looked at an issue for several years, but I suspect it's just another Maxim/FHM wannabe by now.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yeah if you have ever seen the movie sneakers, there is a quick scene where a blind man is reading the braille issue of playboy.

CJ

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Actually the one I have saved is for the John Lennon interview. Of course people would find it in a bookcase and I would tell them it's for the article :b
....and they would roll the eyes
Kind of why I mentioned it....at least people would believe them being blind

Don Black

Screenwriter
I still think Playboy is one of the better publications around. While far from brilliance of the 70s, the articles are still well written and the pictorials are tasteful. It's a mile above the crap in FHM/Maxim/Stuff/etc. I get them all for free and the only one I read is Playboy. The rest I just flip-through.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I subscribe to both Playboy and Maxim, and I can tell you that the articles in those magazines and pretty damn funny. I'm not saying I only buy it for the articles, but I can find nude photos all over the web, so buying the magazine for just the women would be a bit of a waste of money for me. Adding the great articles is what sold me into the subscriptions.

Maxim has a section every month called "G'head, Ask us anything" where they answer questions that you always wondered about but didn't ask because you thought they were stupid. i.e. A question in the recent one is "How do they stop a river to build a dam?" - Pretty interesting stuff.

They always do articles on stuff like "The Grossest Horror Movies of All Time" or "The Top 10 Sexiest Scenes in a Movie", etc.

As far as the articles are concerned, Playboy is for men, like those womens magazines like "Cosmo" are for women...where they talk about "girlie" things (like "What's the best bathing suit for my body" or "What colored lipstick looks best", etc.). Playboy talks about stuff that guys talk about, like "The top 10 things women like a guy to do on a date" or "How to protect yourself in a bar fight" or "How to survive in the woods", etc.

Again, if you're really buying Playboy just for the pictures, then you're missing out on a lot of good content.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive read alot of great articles in Playboy.

Actually when I sibscribed to it,uaually,Id read alot of the magazine before looking at the pics.

Some of the forums,reviews(movies) and articles were the first things Id read.

(That was before the internet and online reviews)

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
BTW The 2nd John Lennon Playboy interview (published after his death)includes photos of Ringo's beautiful wife Barbara
Starkey (nee Bach).:)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
The big monthly interview in Playboy are almost always worth the price of admission alone.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It would be a good excuse to touch her nipples :D

"I was just trying to read them!!!! Although, there really wasn't much written there."

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I've subscribed to Playboy for the past 15 years (still have every issue) and I value it much more for the articles than I do for the pix. Unless there's a nude pictorial of a famous person who interests me, I'll quickly skim the other pictures. I just don't really find the generic Playmate of the Month or Babes of the Big East, etc., that compelling.

The first page I go to is the jokes, then I'll read the interview, then the advisor, then the insignificant stats, etc.

If Playboy had no pictures at all, I'd still subscribe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks