What's new

Buying new TV: Lcos, DLp or RPTV, I am hesitant to make a decision (1 Viewer)

sabryan

Grip
I am looking for 50" 55" screen size, and I have a budget of $3000.00, the more I read about any of these tecnologies, LCOS, LCD, DLP, RPTV, they all have goods and bads, but after so much reading, the confusion its even greater for me, and makes me very hesitant about my decision.

Is there a good gauge to follow up and come out with a good decision, or very close to it.

Please comment

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
IMO, for your budget and screen size requirements, RPTV is the way to go...most bang for the buck. LCOS just doesn't seem quite ready for prime time.

Mort

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
WOW ... you guys are going to add to the confusion.
DLP, LCD & LCOS are all types of RPTV's (rear-projection televisions). DLP & LCD technology is also widely used in front projection (FP).

LCOS has been demonstrated & launched in RPTV form, but then later essentially disappeared from the market. However, Intel has announced new, mass-produced LCOS chip technology that should result in new LCOS-RPTV's by Dec-2004 retailing for < $2000.

I think, whgen you guys say "RPTV", you mean CRT-RPTV. This is the more mature technology that has been used for many years to produce 16:9 HD-RPTV's. The downside is that these RPTV's are analog CRT projectors and tend to be very lkarge & heavy. Maintaining convergence of the 3 CRT guns can also be an issue.

LCD, DLP & LCOS RPTV's are essentially a single chip projector inside a skinny box with mirrors. They are much thinner and lighter compared to CRT-RPTV.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
what are you requirement besides size? Will it be used for movies, games, standard broadcast?

Myself, Im waiting for the rptv market to offer a 1080p tv at a below $4k price point.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
LCOS is also an excelent (albiet expensive) front projection technology.

But for $3000, I'd say go with a small LCD front projector - but then I'm biased. I can't stand the compromises 'required' by manufacturers to make a 'good' RPTV.

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks