What's new

Buying new receiver.... Yamaha HTR-5440 or Pioneer VSX-D710S ?? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Waz

Grip
Hi,

I have narrowed my receiver choices down to a Yamaha HTR-5440 and a Pioneer VSX-D710S. I have heard good things about both.

If I could get some advice on which would be better (for product quality and for sound quality, especially), that would be great. I know people would like to say "get the Harmon Kardon or the Denon", but I really have narrowed it down to JUST these two receivers. -- Unless, of course, they are both particularly poor, which is the exact opposite of what I have heard.

Anyway, any advice to help me decide between these two would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
While Pioneer has one of the best HDTV's on the market, their reputation is not as good for receivers.

As a Yamaha owner, I'd say I am very happy with the 3 receivers I've owned. (I just got back the one I sent to college with a daughter, it still works!).

As far as features go, i would compare:

- Which receiver has more digital inputs

- Which receiver offers SVideo switching

- Which receiver has binding posts for all speakers

- Which receiver has binding posts that match the dual-banana plugs

With all else being equal, it may come down to these small issues that will make you happier with one unit over the other.

Good Luck.

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,

Let me start out by saying I totally agree with Bob...

I myself have the Pioneer VSX-D810S, which has the new 6.1 surround sound, and I have been very Happy with it, I bought it at Best Buy and for the Price of $399.00 , I found that it was a pretty good deal, actually I was going to buy the 710S, but my wife talked me into buying the 810 because of the 6.1 Surround Sound...

However I am a newbie when it comes to Home Theater and I would take the advice of the Veteran Home Theater people on this forum...

That is just my 2 cents worth if it helps at all...

Mike

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i'm stuck between these 2 recievers too. what is the LFE crossover for the pioneer? i know the yamahas is set at 90hz. also, is the crossover on the pioneer adjustable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks