What's new

Buying new receiver.... Yamaha HTR-5440 or Pioneer VSX-D710S ?? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Waz

Grip
Hi,

I have narrowed my receiver choices down to a Yamaha HTR-5440 and a Pioneer VSX-D710S. I have heard good things about both.

If I could get some advice on which would be better (for product quality and for sound quality, especially), that would be great. I know people would like to say "get the Harmon Kardon or the Denon", but I really have narrowed it down to JUST these two receivers. -- Unless, of course, they are both particularly poor, which is the exact opposite of what I have heard.

Anyway, any advice to help me decide between these two would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i'm stuck between these 2 recievers too. what is the LFE crossover for the pioneer? i know the yamahas is set at 90hz. also, is the crossover on the pioneer adjustable?

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I was thinking of the Yamaha too (except the x20 line...virtually the same thing). I'm however holding out for the new x30 line which will be coming soon I believe. I think they are going to be equipped w Dolby Surround EX and DPLII.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know much about those receivers but to jasons question the LFE(Low Frequency Effects) is the sub channel or .1 cannel of the 5.1, i think the dolby spec is anything below 120Hz.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i'm leaning towards the htr-5440. as for the new yamahas, i'm not sure if they have a/b speaker switching. yamahas website doesn't mention it for the x30 series but it does for the x20 series. i emailed them asking about it..... waiting for reply.

Mike ZQ

Grip
Waz, Can't say anything for the Pioneer. I have the Yam 5460....almost the same, just a couple extras. Nothing to write home about. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the way it performs....good sound, gets real loud for movies and music.

When you have the speakers set to small all signals 90 and under are sent to the Sub.

Best of luck to you.

DaleR

Stunt Coordinator
if it helps at all i own the 520 (5450) and i think its great. it does everything i want. including driving my 4 ohm b&w mains. i'm not sure if the pioneer is 4 ohm friendly. but of course that is only a consideration if you plan to use 4 ohm speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks