Buying new Pre/Pro need help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by StevieB, Nov 12, 2003.

1. StevieB

StevieB Auditioning

Hi from Canada Guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some expert advice and help. I am buying a new pre/pro. My short list is the Anthem AVM20, Lexicon MC8 or MC12 and the Krell HTS 7.1. I realize that the latter two by most standards are in a different category, however, I think the Anthem may be undervalued both in price and performance. Although I don't want to flush my money, if the performance justifies the extra cost that's not an issue. I watch movies and T.V. 75% of the time and music 25%. I am looking for a pre/pro that can handle movie soundtracks with precise separation and nuance ( I like to hear everything on the soundtrack) and is respected in the Music mode as well. Video switching, upgrade-ability, tweak-ability and is somewhat future proof. I will be entering into the realm of HDTV in the future. I have listened to them all and they all sound great. I like the 7 channel matrix-ed sound modes(Logic 7, Anthemlogic etc.). My current system consists of Hitachi 61"SBX, Denon AVR3300, EAD Amps, Monitor Audio 7's, 5's , 2 subs, 2 Satellite receivers, Denon DVD, Sony SVHS and a few others.
    Any one who has auditioned any of these, owns one or can give me some expert advice of the differences, performance vs each, pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated. My head hurts from all the reviews I've read on these. Please help... Thanks

2. Alan Howard

Alan Howard Extra

I bought an AVM-20 a few months ago and couldn't be happier. You can spend more on the other two brands but I doubt you'll get mouch more. If you just want to spend more wait until Anthem comes out with their new Director for about $6k, I think. The tech support guys from Anthem are top-notch, if you need them and they're from Canada also.

Good luck......

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Add the Rotel RSP-1098 to your list. It is finally out in general distribution, and is getting very positive reviews in several A/V magazines. I'd say it's a key competitor to the Anthem.

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

If you can afford it get the MC12 or the Krell, whichever is more $$$. Then there's no should, coulda, woulda. Besides, California just got 5" of hail so obviously we don't have much time left here so spend now before it's too late.

OTOH, if your only watching movies and Tv the get a receiver (flagship). And then spend the other $6,000.00 on upgrading your speakers, or a shovel in case you get that kind of hail. Either way if you got it spend it. It's only money. [​IMG]

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Another vote for the Anthem AVM20 from a very happy owner. Very flexible, sounds great, and excellent customer service.

JimmyK

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I find the Lexicon gear far better than the Krell HT gear. I would go with Lexicon which sounds better than the Anthem.

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

The Anthem is a great piece, however you said

"I like the 7 channel matrix-ed sound modes(Logic 7, Anthemlogic etc.)"

If you really like that a lot, you go lexicon...

Rich