What's new

Buying new Pre/Pro need help (1 Viewer)

StevieB

Auditioning
Hi from Canada Guys, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some expert advice and help. I am buying a new pre/pro. My short list is the Anthem AVM20, Lexicon MC8 or MC12 and the Krell HTS 7.1. I realize that the latter two by most standards are in a different category, however, I think the Anthem may be undervalued both in price and performance. Although I don't want to flush my money, if the performance justifies the extra cost that's not an issue. I watch movies and T.V. 75% of the time and music 25%. I am looking for a pre/pro that can handle movie soundtracks with precise separation and nuance ( I like to hear everything on the soundtrack) and is respected in the Music mode as well. Video switching, upgrade-ability, tweak-ability and is somewhat future proof. I will be entering into the realm of HDTV in the future. I have listened to them all and they all sound great. I like the 7 channel matrix-ed sound modes(Logic 7, Anthemlogic etc.). My current system consists of Hitachi 61"SBX, Denon AVR3300, EAD Amps, Monitor Audio 7's, 5's , 2 subs, 2 Satellite receivers, Denon DVD, Sony SVHS and a few others.
Any one who has auditioned any of these, owns one or can give me some expert advice of the differences, performance vs each, pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated. My head hurts from all the reviews I've read on these. Please help... Thanks

I bought an AVM-20 a few months ago and couldn't be happier. You can spend more on the other two brands but I doubt you'll get mouch more. If you just want to spend more wait until Anthem comes out with their new Director for about $6k, I think. The tech support guys from Anthem are top-notch, if you need them and they're from Canada also.

Good luck......

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Add the Rotel RSP-1098 to your list. It is finally out in general distribution, and is getting very positive reviews in several A/V magazines. I'd say it's a key competitor to the Anthem.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
If you can afford it get the MC12 or the Krell, whichever is more $$$. Then there's no should, coulda, woulda. Besides, California just got 5" of hail so obviously we don't have much time left here so spend now before it's too late.

OTOH, if your only watching movies and Tv the get a receiver (flagship). And then spend the other $6,000.00 on upgrading your speakers, or a shovel in case you get that kind of hail. Either way if you got it spend it. It's only money. ;)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Another vote for the Anthem AVM20 from a very happy owner. Very flexible, sounds great, and excellent customer service.

JimmyK

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
The Anthem is a great piece, however you said

"I like the 7 channel matrix-ed sound modes(Logic 7, Anthemlogic etc.)"

If you really like that a lot, you go lexicon...

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks