What's new

Boston Acoustics AVR and Pre/Pro Q&A, Issues, etc (Help inform prospective buyers!!) (1 Viewer)

Hugh

Auditioning
Due to the current sales on the Boston Acoustics AVP-7 pre/pro, A-7200 7-channel amp, and AVR-7120 and AVR-7100 receivers, a number of people have been expressing interest in these products. Unfortunately, what little information and impressions exist are more than a little scattered. I’m hoping to create a single thread to help prospective buyers get the answers they need to make an informed purchase. This is especially needed since the units will likely be unavailable very soon.

I am going to list a number of questions that I feel most people researching these units would like to know, with the hope that those with experience or knowledge of these products will share it with the rest of us.

Please feel free to answer any of the questions you can, ask new ones, or give impressions and opinions. I will update the Q/A portion of this post as the responses dictate.

Thank you in advance!

Q 1: What differences exist between the AVP-7, AVR-7120, AVR-7100, and the Sherwood unit as far as the pre/pro?

To my knowledge, all of the BA units are identical, aside from the AVR-7100 having less I/O? I’m not sure about the Sherwood though. They appear to all share the same user interface though, so I think they are identical?

A 1: ???

Q 2: What sort of support will exist for the BA units, either from BA or Sherwood?

To my knowledge, BA will not support any HW and SW upgrades – though will obviously support warranty issues. From some of my research, it sounds like HW upgrades (such as the auto-EQ) will not be supported anywhere. Has this been confirmed though?

Has anyone heard anything regarding firmware upgrades for bug fixes? If as I suspect the pre/pro is identical, is it possible Sherwood firmware updates would work on the BA units?

A 2: ???

Q 3: Have any firmware upgrades been made available for the BA units to this point? If so, what for? Are they readily available?

A 3: ???

Q 4: What issues are known to exist with the BA units?

IIRC, I’ve heard of some user interface issues with the Sherwood, as well as some bass management issues in the Outlaw 990. Do these exist in the BA units as well? Other issues? If so, the answers to question 2 and 3 become important.

A 4: ???

Q 5 : Does the 7.1 inputs offer a true bypass function? In other words, is it a straight analog connection, or is there an unnecessary A/D/A conversion taking place?

What about the 2-channel bypass?

I know the Outlaw 990 offers some complex bass management (all digital IIRC), and that there is a problem with the current rev performing an unnecessary A/D/A conversion even when the speakers are set to LARGE. Is there a similar problem here?

A 5: ???

Q 6 : Is the A-7200 7-channel amp the same as the highly regarded Sherwood amp?

If so, the separates represent a nice value? If not, the AVR-7120 (or 7100 if you don’t need the extra I/O) coupled with some other future amp might be the best buy?

A 6: ???

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I know Jeff Hipps from S_N has said that while some fo the firmware tweaks may work on the B&K Sherwood doens't know for sure what changes B&K might have done and therefore doesn't suggest people attemp to upgrade a B&K with S_N firmware. SNAP won't work for sure as that required a hardware change that isn't in the B&K version.

Hugh

Auditioning
Has anyone been able to confirm whether the Boston 7100 receiver uses the same processor (DACs, etc.) as the AVP7 pre/pro?

It has been confirmed that the 7200 is the same (I/O and everything) ... but not sure about the 7100. It obviously has a few less inputs/outputs, but I'm more concerned about the rest of the HW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks