What's new

buying a plasma-name me an etailer! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm ready to plunk down on a Panasonic 42" plasma and I'd like to know who to order from. I've looked at tvauthority, dtvcity, plasmaconcepts and more but since I've never dealt with any of them, I don't have a history.

Tvauthority ahs the ebst price but has anyone dealt with them? I know they're a sponsor but I'd love to hear your stories.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm getting the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY. I've researched the prices (tvauthority has it for $2350 but it may or may not be in stock), I just want to know about the reliability of certain etailers; shipping, delays, likelihood of damage, etc.

Thanks!

Darren_T

Second Unit
I've never used TVAuthority before mainly because I've never bought a TV on-line yet :) I've bought several audio components though. I'd be apt to trust TVAuthority because they are a forum sponsor if I'm not mistaken. But I'm just guessing, I am also looking at a Panasonic Plasma (TH-50PX25UP).

The TH-50PX20UP is quite a bit cheaper though... I haven't had a chance to see the differences between the two. Is it just tuner stuff? I'm waiting for more answers to your question also.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Panasonic is aggressively pushing Enhanced Definition sets for cheaper. The ED sets have lower resolution (480p) and no HD tuner. However, they can accept an HD signal.

For my budget and my viewing habits (little braodcast, LOTS of dvds) the ED is perfect.

Now if I only knew WHERE I was buying it!

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Although I have not used TVAuthority myself, based upon other's comments, I believe that they have a very good track record and reputation.

FYI, we have a Panny 42" ED plasma display, and at our typical viewing distance of 10 feet, the HD picture quality is excellent.

-Steve

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan,
I've been looking around and noticed Onecall has the consumer models for a decent price(like within a $100 of the Commercial models). I believe the inputs and outputs are abit different(better). The outer screen is silver though.

You might take a peek at that.

GregHC

Agent
From reading this forum and other forums.

The three that seem the best, have good customer support, and are willing to work with owners are

TVAuthority
Visual Apex
and Plasma Concepts

I would have bought from anyone of those three(I went LCD RPTV so the savings didn't justify a web purchase), and I believe TVAuthority is a sponsor of this forum.

I would call them and talk to a rep directly. Let them know your concern, Find out what their return policy is for bad pixels, who picks up the charges etc.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Thanks for all the advice. Tvauthority was out of stock so I ended up going with dtvcity. A friend of mine used them to get her plasma and recommended them highly. I'll keep you all up to date.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ecost currently has a EDTV 42" Viewsonic plasma for under $2k and a 42" HDTV Viewsonic plasma for around $2600. You might want to give those models a look, especially if you're about to spend only $300 less than the HD Viewsonic on an ED Panasonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks