What's new

Burnout Revenge (Xbox, PS2) and Burnout Legends (PSP) (1 Viewer)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Picked up Legends at Circuit City for $36.79 after a Fry's pricematch. Looking forward to playing it when I get home.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes, I didn't have to upload my system. It is only a 1.52. On the game umd disc itself I could just load the game and it works.

Great game awesome. A friend says it looks like Burnout 3 takedown.

The clerk did still say I had to connect and update mine to 2.0 but anyways I tried it when I first got wind of this updating thing, and it didn't work for me.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I've been playing both games.

The PSP version while at work and the PS2 when I get home.

Burnout Revenge is INCREDIBLE!

I agree about the sound, does scare you!

The game is so complex and difficult but so much fun.

I'm FINALLY going to hook up internet access to my PS2 and do Burnout ONLINE!:)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well, I bought it! You were right about the sound, Dave. What's funny, I expect the loud LFE when a crash happens, but I still jump!

As for the game itself, so far I like it. Some things are better than B3, but overall, I enjoy B3 a little more. This is my first impression, though, as I've only played a couple of hours.

However, I will say that the online part is way better than B3's.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ok, this game has me thinking. I have an Infocus 4805. Any EA game I've ever played has never been fullscreen 16 X 9. They are widescreen, but there are black bars on all sides. (The same thing happened with my X1.) Tiger Woods, SSX, the last two Burnouts, Madden, all these games are not full 480p according to what I have displayed. Am I the only one with this problem? Is widescreen just not supported by EA? Do I have something set incorrectly?

Thanks.
George

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
OK, so I'm actually finding Burnout Revenge -- so far at least -- to be far easier than Burnout 3. For the first five rankings it's nearly impossible to avoid getting a "perfect" score on many of the events. It's a LOT harder to crash into traffic in this game. Unless you hit a wall or move directly into another car's front headlights, you plow through it all with a little too much ease. The graphics are better, of course, and the rival drivers are more aggressive (that's nice).

Really fun game, yes - but for me, not quite the revelation Burnout 3 was. At least, not so far.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
George, that does sound strange...my LCD TV displays the widescreen properly, no problem. Looks 480p to me, but Im not too good with technical stuff.

Online is definitely better, Im lovin it so far!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

I agree. But even getting to level 6, you are only 16% complete with the game. If I remember correctly, Burnout 3 didn't get really difficult until I got to the 60% complete stages. I'm anticipating the difficulty to get notched up a bit going forward.

I was a huge B3 addict, put in about 170 hours into that game. My thoughts on the new one are that the new tracks and shortcuts are amazing and way more fun than in B3. The sound is also way better. If the difficulty stays the same, I'll be somewhat disappointed, but overall, this is a far better game I think than B3.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've played Burnout Revenge a bit more and I have to agree with you, Evan. I've decided I'm happy with the major gameplay changes, partly because it keeps Burnout 3 a viable game for me to pick up and play. For all the cosmetic similarities the games are quite different.

The tracks are far better-designed this time around. The shortcuts and "air time" areas make tracks much more exciting. The ranking system is also a little less daunting -- races are cleanly organized into difficulty levels. I remember being just completely overwhelmed by all the tracks opening up in Burnout 3. "One more track just opened up, might as well try it out..." (and before you know it, it's 4am).

Burnout 3 is a more "white knuckle" game because other cars pose far more of a crash danger. You don't just have to hit them from the side or front. In Burnout Revenge, they only start throwing busses, semi-trucks, and race barriers at you later in the game.

In fact, most of the time you'll be using 80% or more of the cars on the road as roadblocks or weapons. It's like being in a "road runner" cartoon; in fact, everything in this game is way over-the-top, including the crashbreaker integrations into races. While it adds a nice strategic element to racing, it's almost like I'm spending more time attacking the other racers with "missiles and bombs" rather than actually racing them.

It's a blast, don't get me wrong. As I said before, this also makes it a different enough game experience to keep Burnout 3 in my queue.

The crash mode is also completely different - the intersections are larger, and it's more cartoonish ("explosive") than the crash mode in Burnout 3. In fact, sometimes the explosions are so large (in Revenge) that I can't see anything happening on-screen. This bugs me a little. I think I'll still revisit the clean(er) "icon crash mode" of the earlier game.

The Burnout series, like the SSX series, seems to get simultaneously less difficult and richer/deeper as it advances (try going back to SSX after playing SSX3 for a while to see what I mean).

~steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks