What's new

Pre-Order BumbleBee (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
222812_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Good for you, but I am unable to find this movie offered in 3D Blu from any country or region for pre-order.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a very early pre-order listing as the movie just opened in theaters last weekend. Maybe a 3D option might show up from some other country later down the line when it's closer to release.

I really enjoyed this much more than I was expecting to and I will probably end up buying it when it comes out.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know it’s early to pre-order a 3D “Bumblebee”, but these pre-order offers are getting earlier and earlier. I have already ordered the 3Ds for “Aquaman” and “Fantastic Beasts 2”.

I only order 3D blus ahead of time like this for fear they will not always be available and to support the format. I figure that if you can pre-order the flat versions now, and there is a 3D version coming, they should at least have a release date.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they should at least have a release date.

Why? As of yet, these don't.

I'm not saying any of your speculation in the above post is wrong -- it's very possible that they might not be planning a 3D release right now. If they are, it would be logical to allow pre-orders of it now.

But it's also possible that they have time to announce one between now and the spring when this title will arrive. I assume given its theatrical window that the absolute earliest we could possibly see it would be mid-to-late March, but if I were Paramount I would probably be targeting April. Lots of things can happen between now and April.

Warner Bros. didn't initially announce a 4K edition of Crazy Rich Asians with the other ones, but it got one after all and didn't even have a later release date.

You never know what can happen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's starting to seem that Paramount no longer supports 3D for home viewing in any format or in any region. Previously, they had supported it on a case-by-case basis with box office hits receiving 3D releases while flops were put on disc in 2D-only, but with the failure of "Mission: Impossible - Fallout" to materialize on a 3D disc anywhere in the world, it now appears that Paramount no longer supports 3D at home.

Sony is another studio that appears to be transitioning from case-by-case to not at all. Movies like "Alpha" which were designed for 3D viewing are not being released in 3D on disc anywhere in the world, and movies like "Venom" are coming out on 3D disc in a sharply reduced number of territories compared to even six months ago. It appears that "Venom" will only be available on 3D disc in Germany and India, and it's looking to be the same for "Spider-Man: Inside The Spider-Verse."

I think it is entirely possible that we will see the last major studio BD3D releases in 2019. While it's possible that the format will survive for niche releases and independent distributors, I think we are towards the end of a transition that is seeing new 3D releases being theatrical exclusives only, and generally for shorter runs than their 2D counterparts.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1. These are retailer place-holder pre-orders, not official press release annoucements by the studios. I wouldn't panic just yet until the studio announces the release formats. I've pre-ordered The Grinch 3D from Amazon.com but am kind of skeptical that it will actually appear as the last Illumination title by Universal did not receive a domestic 3D release despite having a pre-order option available.

2. On the other hand, as Josh noted, Paramount does not seem to be supporting 3D blu-ray any longer. If they were, it seems like Mission: Impossible - Fallout would have been available, having been a huge worldwide blockbuster.

3. Warner has a natural outlet for niche 3D releases with Warner Archives & the WB Shop. So hopefully Warner will continue to support the format for a bit longer. But the other studios don't really have such an outlet, so if they cannot get a certain quantity of sales from traditional retail outlets, they probably don't see any point in continuing the format.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You know, it kills me if a 3D title is available somewhere in the world but not North America. I absolutely have to order it from India or Germany if need be.

On the other hand for some reason if it is simply not available at all, it doesn’t seem to bother me. I guess it’s the fact that I really can’t do anything to get it. This does not mean however that I will necessarily buy the flat version.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To add to Malcolm's excellent points, Paramount is also experimenting with dropping physical releases altogether. As an example, they just completed two new, expensive, high profile 4K restorations of two of their classics - The War Of The Worlds and It's A Wonderful Life - and they declined to release them on physical media. They're available digitally on services like iTunes and Vudu, and were terrifically inexpensive on those services. With catalog sales being down across the board, they're probably experimenting to see what release strategies will yield them the best result. But compare that to Warner releasing their 4K restoration of 2001: A Space Odyssey on UHD and BD. It seems clear that Paramount is at least considering winding down their physical output.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You know, it kills me if a 3D title is available somewhere in the world but not North America. I absolutely have to order it from India or Germany if need be.

On the other hand for some reason if it is simply not available at all, it doesn’t seem to bother me. I guess it’s the fact that I really can’t do anything to get it. This does not mean however that I will necessarily buy the flat version.
I will also order the international 3D version if one is available, but I probably won't deny myself the title on flat blu-ray if that's the only option.

As I've mentioned before, theatrical 3D always gives me a headache for some reason (home 3D does not), so when I do visit a theater I'm likely to choose a flat showing even if a 3D version is available. So lack of a home 3D release isn't really a total deal-breaker for me since I'd likely have seen it flat in the theater anyway. But I will buy the home 3D blu-ray if it's available.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What I'm finding is that I have less enthusiasm for buying a ticket for something in 3D theatrically if I know I won't be able to replicate that at home. When Mission: Impossible - Fallout was released with a choice of either IMAX or 3D, but not IMAX 3D, I looked around and noticed that there didn't appear to be a 3D preorder anywhere in the world. So my choice was between seeing a 3D version that I wouldn't ever be able to see again, or a 2D version that I would. When I see a movie in 3D first and then see it in 2D later, the 2D version almost always feels wrong to me, like something's missing. I imagine it's the same if you remember a movie having a great surround sound track but then are only able to hear it in mono for the rest of your life. Knowing that I see Mission: Impossible movies repeatedly, I went with the 2D IMAX version so that when I'm watching it at home for the next decade, I'm not thinking each and every time, "This feels wrong."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For something I was only inclined to see once, I'd still do that. (I did that with "Alpha" earlier this summer.) But for something that I'm going to rewatch again and again on home video, it's a tougher call.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
To add to Malcolm's excellent points, Paramount is also experimenting with dropping physical releases altogether. As an example, they just completed two new, expensive, high profile 4K restorations of two of their classics - The War Of The Worlds and It's A Wonderful Life - and they declined to release them on physical media. They're available digitally on services like iTunes and Vudu, and were terrifically inexpensive on those services. With catalog sales being down across the board, they're probably experimenting to see what release strategies will yield them the best result. But compare that to Warner releasing their 4K restoration of 2001: A Space Odyssey on UHD and BD. It seems clear that Paramount is at least considering winding down their physical output.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Paramount was pretty generous in the days of DVD offering many deep catalogue titles, but that must have lost them a lot of money. When BD arrived they have never been very supportive of that format for old movies. Only their guaranteed money makers. Luckily Criterion got some of their titles and released them in grand fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks