What's new

Bull Durham - Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up last month shortly after it came out and only got around to watching it this weekend. I also own the 2002 Special Edition but bought this as a blind double-dip because "Bull Durham" is one of my favorite movies. Basically, if you have the SE, this isn't worth your money. If you have the stripped-down version (with only the two commentaries as extras) that MGM sold starting in 2004, then it might be worth it. Here's a comparison:

Video: It's the same transfer, or at least I couldn't tell any difference on my 32" Sony LCD. Fine with me since the video on the SE was pretty good to begin with.

Audio: Both offer 5.1 surround, but since I don't have a surround system I can't really evaluate them.

Extras: Two commentaries, one with director Ron Shelton and one with Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins, both carried over from the SE and both very good.

The documentary "Between the Lines: The Making of Bull Durham" (30 minutes) is carried over from the SE. It's pretty good, with interview with Shelton and all three stars as well as supporting players Jenny Robertson and Robert Wuhl, and producer Thom Mount.

"The Greatest Show on Dirt" (20 minutes) is new. It's kind of a nostalgic, celebratory look back on the film and its significance as a classic sports film. It has interviews with Shelton as well as baseball people, including a coach with the Philadelphia Phillies and L.A. Dodgers radio announcer Charley Steiner. It didn't tell me a whole lot I didn't know, but it was nice to have something new.

"Diamonds in the Rough" is new. It's a look at the real minor leagues, with interviews with present-day players. Not really a documentary, just mostly interview clips stitched together, and in the end it comes off as kind of an ad for minor-league baseball.

"Profile of Kevin Costner" and "Sports Wrap" are carried over from the SE. They're a wretched pair of promotional shorts that look like EPK pieces from the film's 1988 release. Dated and superficial.

Again ... if you have the SE from 2002, you can skip this. If you have the stripped-down MGM version from 2004 or later, might be worth a look for the documentaries.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Based on your review, I would probably only be interested in the stripped down 2004 version. Is the 2004 transfer the same as the SE and CE? Thanks.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own the stripped-down version, but based on what others have said, it's identical except for the missing extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks