What's new

Building New HT (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I am helping a friend build his HT and he has left all the details to me. His room is large, being about 20x30. He has advised that they do not sit "balanced " in the room... they kinda sit off to one side. I am considering bipoles for at least the rear and possibly the fronts also. I am an old direct radiator lover so I have little info and experience with bipoles/dipoles.... any advice would be appreciated.
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This shouldn't be a problem no matter which type of surround speakers you choose to go with (I use M&K SS150THX units which can be configured to be bipole/dipole/direct radiating or any combination thereof).
The key to balancing the sound in the room comes when you balance the sonic output for the "sweet spot" (whichever seating position you choose) in the HT. Let the electronics of the pre/pro or receiver take care of positioning the sound using test signals from the units itself or from one of many setup discs. In extreme cases I guess an equalizer could be placed in the mix, but I doubt that most situations would necessitate this.
Remember, a lot of the sonic characteristics of the room depend on the furnishings and placement. This is a variable that must be experienced and can't be simply discerned from dimensions of the room alone.
Good luck with the project.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks