What's new

Building detached garage with theater—what can be done later? (1 Viewer)

Doss

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Hi all, I am building a detached garage with a dedicated room for a media/theater room. The room will be about 15x21 and I will be soundproofing it. However, I realized that there is a ton of learning I need to do for setting up the acoustics, projector, seating. I didn’t want to rush into it and regret missed opportunities. I need to fast track the garage construction due to an office needed in the attic room. Thus, I am thinking of leaving the media room walls and ceiling open. I am also unsure where the a/v rack will go as well as backer boxes for the in wall speakers, etc.

I am looking for advice on what should be done during the construction phase vs what can be added later ? Soffits? How many outlets per feet? If I do a false wall, can this be done later? Etc!

Thanks...look forward to the responses!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you leave it as an open space, you can do anything later including the electrical. Outlets per feet, etc. is determined by code. You will need them to plug in a vacuum, laptop, etc. Just make sure you have a dedicated breaker for the equipment rack location, and if you don't know where that is, have a spool of Romex run back to a dedicated breaker so you can run the wire to wherever the equipment will be located. You can run all the wire (electrical, speaker, LV) later as long as the wall and ceilings are open.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks