What's new

Building a screen for a FP. (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I will post this on my website (when I remember too) For now I have decided this might be a good place to put it. Feel free to add comments/questions for clarification.

I have been getting many questions about how I built my screen. It has been awhile but it was rather simple so I will attempt to explain it.

I purchased blackout material from a local fabric store, total cost was approximately $30. This material is kind of rubbery and stretchy. Make sure you ask them NOT to fold it! You don't want creases, minor creases will stretch out over time.
The size depends on your screen size, my is 96" x 54" the material comes in 54" maximum height. So this is basically the max size you are stuck with. I think you can stretch this stuff about 1-2" so you can get up to 56".

Now I just built a wooden frame from 1x3" strapping material from the lumber store. I used plain old screws to fasten it together. I used metal 90 degree brackets to hold the corners together. It doesn't really matter how you build the screen, but if you use 1x3" strapping it will be strong enough and light. I can carry the thing around no problem (except for the size), it probably only weights a max of 20lbs.

Plan out the frame nice and sturdy, mine is actually not that great, I should rebuild it. It "warped" alittle bit when I stretched the fabric.

So, after I had the frame built I laid the fabric out on the floor. I then put the frame over top of the fabric and folded the fabric around the edge of the frame. I used a staple gun to secure the material to the frame. Then I simply went around the frame with the staple gun. I pulled it REALLY REALLY tight on the last edge to eliminate wrinkles (maybe too tight, this is why my rame warped a bit).

To fasten it to the wall I used 2 simple hooks and eyelits in the wall. I simply hooked them up and voila, I can remove the screen from the wall anytime and it is easy to get it back into place by myself if need be. There is a window behind my screen so I needed to do this to be able to access the window in an emergency. I also have heard of people using a track type system to fasten the screen, which would hold it more parallel with the wall. My system works, although not the greatest, it was quick and cheap.

Some like to have a black border around the frame, I thought of doing this, but have yet to get around to it. I feel that because I have a black wall behind the screen I do not need the border as much. And since I have a CRT projector I use blanking to cut the image right on the side of my screen.

The better way to do a black border would be to build the frame slightly larger than needed, and instead of stretching the fabric AROUND the frame, simply staple it to the front of the frame. Then to hide the staples you can wrap the remaining wood border with some black felt fabric. Simply staple the fabric on and wrap it around the frame. I think I would use this method if I had to do this again.

You can also paint the screen if you wish, I opted not too. I'm happy with it as it is.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Awesome. There are so many ways to build a screen. This certainly is one of the more popular methods. Are you leaving it the original colour, which I assume would be an off-white?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Did this as well James for my Panny LCD.

I used 1x4's, cut 45s at the corners and screwed the frames corners together (I pre-drilled the holes first) then used small angle brackets on the inside of the frame. My frame size is 6'x 3.4' (82" 16:9).

I then stretched the blackout cloth over the frame and used 1/2" staples in my staple gun to attach the fabric to the frame.

Next, I painted the screen (2 coats rolled) using Lowe's Valspar Gray Plank Interior Flat (code: 101-21.5, 107-1, 116-1). Before I painted the screen I hung it and shot a few images. After, I decided to paint the screen as it helped reduce the screen-door without affecting image quality.

After a few days of dry time, I used the blue painters tape and taped off 1" around the perimeter of the screen and used a 100% flat black paint from Home Depot. Waited a few hours and pulled the tape off, perfect black perimeter.

I mounted the screen using small angle brackets, first screwed to the wall then to the screen. This allowed me to hide the side screwed to the wall behind the screen.

Hopefully, by next weekend I can get some new pics up on my website.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks