What's new

Buena Vista's 2/3 Slate? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I tried a search on this and couldnt come up with anything, but next week (2/3/04), Buena Vista is going to be re-releasing a couple movies that I would very much like to pickup.

My Science Project, Return to Oz, and Midnight Madness.

Does anyone know the specs of these, or at the least if theyre 16x9 widescreen? I already have the full frame Midnight Madness, so I dont want to double dip on it again if nothings different, and I know there were prior releases of the other two as well, but I dont think either was 16x9 widescreen.

Thanks.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I think there are already a couple on-going discussions about this subject, but for what it's worth:

Return to Oz and My Science Project were released OAR by Anchor Bay. It's been a while since I saw that Oz DVD, so I don't remember the quality on that. But I watched My Science Project the other day and the widescreen transfer looks awful.

Midnight Madness is one of my favorite films and I really hope that I can replace that rotten full frame DVD.

It's frustrating that BV is withholding the specs.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am almost positive that Return to Oz is non-anamorphic widescreen and I remember the reason I never bought it in the past was because of terrible quality.

Sadly, all of these movies, except Oz have a $14.95 MSRP, which doesnt bode well for a new version. Knowing Disney, theyre probably recycling the same transfers as before, which is very disappointing, but considering DeepDiscountDVD is going to have these for around $7 (minus Oz, which I think was $12), I might just have to buy them since they'll probably be the only versions we ever get.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Return to Oz
Date: 2/3/2004
SRP: $19.99
Language(s): English, French
Run Time: 110 minutes
1.85:1 Aspect Ratio

Bonus Feature(s):
Fairuza Balk Returns To Oz
Original TV Spots
Original Theatrical Trailer

My Science Project
SRP: $14.99
Language(s): English
Run Time: 95 minutes
2.35:1 Aspect Ratio

Midnight Madness
SRP: $14.99
Language(s): English
Run Time: 112 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------

That's all the info I could find on these releases. My guess is that these won't be a major improvement over their originals. Maybe slightly better video and audio, but the lack of Aspect Ratio info for Midnight Madness makes me assume it's a 4:3 version.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You never know. Dick Tracy and Ruthless People both came out as cheapies but they provided new anamorphic transfers. Granted, the transfer for the former sucked, but at least it was new!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Now that its 2/3, does anyone have any more info on any of these titles? I am specifically looking for which ones may or may not be anamorphically enhanced. Thanks.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
MIDNIGHT MADNESS is again full-frame. The only additions to set it apart from the old Anchor Bay issue is a French-language track and a Spanish subtitle option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks