What's new

Budget printer with low ink cost (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I wasn’t aware there were all-in-one laser printers. Of course, I’m not in the market so I haven’t been printer shopping for some time now.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wasn’t aware there were all-in-one laser printers. Of course, I’m not in the market so I haven’t been printer shopping for some time now.
Laser printer / scanner combos have been available for a long time. I bought this HP for our SC condo, where my desk space was limited and I just needed a basic printer and document scanner. At our Michigan home, I have a separate laser printer (Brother) and scanner (Epson V600) setup, as I needed to scan photos -- including 35mm slides, various negative formats, and prints.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Yeah, laser AIOs have been around for a long time indeed. My inexpensive Oki is one... though it's a beast like most older color laser AIOs... and the OEM toners are probably more expensive than many others to make up for the inexpensive upfront cost -- I usually just buy 3rd party ones to keep them cheaper, but I also don't print much anyway and only very rarely need color.

IF I buy again, it'd probably be a Brother I'm guessing -- my previous B&W lasers were Brother.

_Man_

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Do you need color? If not, I would look at a laser printer instead of any ink jet. You should be able to get a Brother brand for around $120, and 3rd party toner cartridges are much cheaper and last longer than ink cartridges - - plus they don't dry out.
A Brother wired laser printer can't phone home & report you like most other brands these day, a big plus!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
please suggest me best cheapest all in one printer ,, ALSO low cost ink or catridge. please give me choices to select. i am not much regular user of printer but when i do ink shouldnt dry up should be taken into account. i like to photo print , xerox. scan, and print some office documents like excel , word..
Epson ET-4800.

Ecotanks seem expensive out of the gate but they literally pay for themselves in ink cost savings.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Over Christmas, I ended up looking around for a printer, was going to go with a laser printer (was getting tired of having to replace print heads due to ink drying out in the heads from lack of printing on a regular basis), but in the end, decided to give ink printers one more go, so I snagged a Epson ET-3850 from Costco due to the sale price, so eventually, I'll actually unpack and connect it to my PCs. LOL!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Because of recent comments by the CEO of HP I would not recommend one of their printers at all - ink jet or laser.
source: https://www.wired.com/story/hp-ceo-ink-cartridge-hackers-dynamic-security/

Basically - don't buy HP ink/toner and they'll brick your printer. They've done this with some already.
HP has become more customer unfriendly. A friend has an HP laptop about 5 years old, and needs to repair it - bad fan. HP pulled down the service documents for laptops of that vintage off their website. Thanks a lot.

I buy Dell. They keep any support documents at their website basically forever. Twenty years ago I owned a Dell Dimensions 4300 (long ago surplused). Last year I searched the Dell website for its support documents. They still posted the service manual and all of the latest device drivers! This is why I buy Dell and not HP PCs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Over Christmas, I ended up looking around for a printer, was going to go with a laser printer (was getting tired of having to replace print heads due to ink drying out in the heads from lack of printing on a regular basis), but in the end, decided to give ink printers one more go, so I snagged a Epson ET-3850 from Costco due to the sale price, so eventually, I'll actually unpack and connect it to my PCs. LOL!

Well, at least you should have some extra time to return it to Costco (and go w/ laser) once you realize inkjet still basically sucks for most general purpose usage, heh... ;)

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks