What's new

Budget HT receiver with pre-outs ---- (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I am in the market for a new HT receiver. All I really want this for would be the occasional 5.1 movie. I really want a stereo receiver (2.1) with preouts that can occasionally play a DVD in 5.1 DD or DTS. I need the preouts for my old Yammie amp. I am on a pretty strict budget of around 300-400bux online. So far I have found the Denon 1802 and Marantz SR4200. Do you guys know of any others that have preouts for under 400. Thanks

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kyle, the Pioneer VSX-D811S has pre-outs. Also, I think the Yamaha HTR-5560 does as well. Both of these should be around $400. Many people here seem to say that Marantz is the best for listening to 2 channel music (at least that is my impression - I've never heard a Marantz so I can't comment on it from a personal standpoint). If that is the most important aspect for you, then you may want to go that route.

cheers,

--tom

StevenK

Second Unit
I just ordered a Yamaha 5560 from J&R for $358 shipped. I picked the Yammie over the Denon 1802 and Marantz 4200 because of DD-EX and DTS-ES capabilities.

KyleGS

Second Unit
Can the Pioneer really hold up to the Denon, Yam, and Marantz? Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into those.

Any others?

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I was once also looking for an uber-cheap receiver with pre-outs for my computer. At the time I believe that the Kenwood VR-410 was the cheapest, at about $300-400 then. If you can still find one then I'm sure it'll be pretty cheap. It's since been replaced by the VR-510, and some of the lower 5xx models might have pre-outs now. I wouldn't exactly call the VR line of great quality, but if you really want pre-outs on the cheap, then I think they might be the cheapest.
I just did a quick check, looks like the VR-410 can be found for around $300 or so online. The Pioneer VSX-D811S also has pre-outs and is even less. Don't you just love consumer electronics? More features at lower price points every few months... :D
Good luck,
-- Dave

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kyle, Pioneer does tend to get the short end of the stick but I personally have had no trouble with budget Pioneer receivers. I guess it depends on what you mean by "hold up." So much is going to depend on your other equipment, your listening levels, your listening habits and your personal tastes when it comes to your ears. For me, I don't come close to listening at levels that even strain the lowest end Pioneers' power supplies. So, what it then comes down to is features and performance at our listening levels. I think if you're going to be using this for mostly music, and you're a critical listener then you should audition the receivers preferably with the same peripheral equipment and musical selections. Your ears should tell you which one you like best. As I mentioned, many seem to feel the Marantz offers the best sound for 2 channel stereo music.

good luck,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks