What's new

BTT490 / Samsung 6203 no sound (1 Viewer)

twnickyang

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Yang
Hi,

I've spend my whole day yesterday trying to figure out how to set the connection. I'd really appreciate if anyone can help.Just got my TV yesterday and the setting I used to do doesn't work my new Samsung 6203. I link my Apple TV with BTT490 with HDMI, and another HDMI to connect TV and BTT490. It works perfectly when watching Apple TV. Video comes from the TV, audio from the HTS.But there is no sound comes from the HTS when I switch to TV. I use antenna to receive channel. Antenna directly links to my TV. It works when I use TV speaker. Then I have an optical cable to link my TV and BTT490. I tried to turn HDMI audio on/off, ARC/Digital in, it just doesn't work.

I used to have a Toshiba TV with the same connection and it worked fine. I was wondering if that's something regarding to Samsung's program setting?Please advice. Thanks in advance!

Nick

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Make sure in the TV's settings that the TV is supplying sound to the HTS (sometimes the TV speakers default to OFF when connected to an HTS because it assumes the sound will be coming from a satellite or cable bo to the HTS and then to the TV. Also, make sure the HTS is using the "D-IN" input when watching TV as the TV sound will be coming into the D-In input from the TV via optical and not HDMI.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Also, if the TV has an HDMI which outputs "ARC" (Audio Return Channel), you may want to hook the TV to the HTS via HDMI using the ARC HDMI input on the BTT490 instead of via optical. The ARC-capable HDMI inputs should be labed as such on the TV and the 490. ARC is an HDMI pass-through that allows the TV to automatically output audio via HDMI back to an HTS or audio receiver.

twnickyang

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Yang
Thanks for answering Alex.

Yes I think the TV is supplying sound to the HTS because when I tried to adjust the volume using TV remoter, it says "your TV is set to use external speaker".

And yes the HTS is using digital-in while optical cable connected. I also tried ARC on while optical disconnected. Neither works.

Should I change the audio format on the TV (Dolby Digital / PCM / DTS Neo2:5) or on the HTS (Digital-in PCM-FIX on or off)?I did tried some different combination of above setting, but still can't figure a way out.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Try changing the audio format on the HTS to FIX (there should be a description on the HTS menu when selecting these option as to what it does. If the TV is set to use the external speaker (meaning the HTS), audio controls in the TV should impact nothing.

I would continue to tweak things in the HTS Menu under "Audio" until you hit something that works.

I'm at work now so I can't look at my HTS's menu to guide you. If you haven't resolved by the time I get home, I'll try to look at my set-up and see if I can help further.

twnickyang

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Yang
Thank you Alex.

I tried to reconnect my old TV with the same setting and it works. That makes feel the new Samsung is the reason.

The Samsung 6203 allows me to change TV output (TV speaker or audio out). With the audio out option, it allows me to choose audio format (PCM/Dolby Degital/ Neto), audio delay (which I believe is unrelated here), and dolby digital comp (Line or RF). Tried different combination, and still can't get it work.

If you can show me your setting that will be really great. Thank you in advance.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
twnickyang said:
Thank you Alex.I tried to reconnect my old TV with the same setting and it works. That makes feel the new Samsung is the reason.The Samsung 6203 allows me to change TV output (TV speaker or audio out). With the audio out option, it allows me to choose audio format (PCM/Dolby Degital/ Neto), audio delay (which I believe is unrelated here), and dolby digital comp (Line or RF). Tried different combination, and still can't get it work.If you can show me your setting that will be really great. Thank you in advance.
Sorry for taking so long....just got home.On my 370 HTS, in "setup", choose Audio, then " Digital Audio Input". Then set "PCM-FIX" to on for the Digital In.Then, under TV/Device Connection, choose HDMI connection, then choose HDMI Audio Output, and set it to on.If your menus are the same as mine, that might work.

twnickyang

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Yang
Thanks Alex. I finally figured out how. The key is that I have to change Ext-in source in my BTT490 to digital in when watching TV. It doesn't change automatically as my old TV does.

Thank you for all your assistance.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
twnickyang said:
Thanks Alex. I finally figured out how. The key is that I have to change Ext-in source in my BTT490 to digital in when watching TV. It doesn't change automatically as my old TV does.

Thank you for all your assistance.
Great....glad you figured it out! I should have thought of that earlier. If I have one complaint with my 370 (and I think the 490 is the same) is the input settings can be tricky, especially because of the "Home" screen the device always wants to go to first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks