What's new

Bruuuuuce! (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
OK, having been a long Bruce fan, seeing him about 8 times(not easy in Chicago), possessing a vast array of tapes(don't interpret as illegal:D ), I thought I would get over not being able to see him this year. Well thanks to the Today show this morning, I feel miserable and inspired. That same old Bruce put on a great 3 song set that had me yearning for more. Non Springsteen fans probably won't empathize with me but now I must scramble to get tix :angry: Oh well I am off to Best Buy for the $9.99 opening day special!
Just had to rant!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Dan,
Pick up a copy of The Wall Street Journal today and read the end of the Personal section.
There is a nice (and rare) rave review of The Rising. Based on the review, this is now at the top of my list.
Bruce has always sung songs from the heart and from a down to earth, may I say middle-class, point of view that I think often gets to the truth of the matter.
I can't wait to hear how this works on a subject matter as complex and sad and ultimately uplifting as September 11th.
I was in NYC last Friday and I was amazed at how normal the city felt. It seems nothing can stop the tough spirit of the average New Yorker. It beyond words how terrible this was for the families involved, but is also beyond words how much this showed the American Spirit is alive and well.
Oh well, my therapy session is done for the day.
:)

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Hes being interviewed by Ted Koppel on Nightline tonite:

TONIGHT'S FOCUS: In a rare, extended television interview, Bruce Springsteen talks with Ted Koppel about how 9/11 effected him personally and inspired his newest music. Rejoining with his longtime collaborators, the E Street Band, Springsteen gives both Nightline and UpClose a
behind-the-scenes glimpse into his creative process, from composing the music to rehearsing with the band in preparation for a worldwide tour launching next week. It's a special series of broadcasts on Nightline and
UpClose tonight - and another UpClose tomorrow: Bruce Springsteen - on work, hope and keeping the faith with his audience.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Suprised there's not more talk about "The Rising".

Just finished my first listen.

I love it. 72 minutes, 15 tracks, loved 'em all. This one feels like a classic.

It sounds like Bruce, but at the same time it's like nothing he's done before.

The only thing I was disappointed in - not enough Clarence Clemons.

I'll be cranking it up again in a few minutes.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I've already got my ticket for 8/27 in San Jose... Heading down to Best Buy right after work.
Is it 5:30 yet? :D

MatS

Screenwriter
I've had access to this disc for a little while now.

A fine release...it is no "Born To Run", no "Greetings From Asbury Park NJ" but it doesn't need to be. It is 2002 and this is a record for that time. Whether you listen to it in the context of 9/11 or not (not all songs were writen about 9/11 'Waitin' On A Sunny Day', 'My City Of Ruins') this record will hold your attention from front to back.

The only out of place tune on the whole record is the unbearable 'Let's Be Friends (Skin To Skin)'

Mary's Place even harkens back to the ole' Wild And Innocent' days. Including a center section that just screams for the live show.

One must not fail to mention the glorious return of the E Street Band to the studio.

welcome back Rock and Roll to the 'Land Of Hope And Dreams'

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
I need to chime in on this one...
Picked this up before going into work & gave it a few spins today...
I was a big Springsteen fan as a youth. My "Born in the USA" record got quite a few spins in the mid to late 80s (I was 8 or 9 when it came out:))
On The Rising,"Empty Sky," "Further On (Up the Road)," "Into the Fire," "Mary's Place," "My City of Ruins," and the title track really stand out for me.
When I saw there was a track called "Nothing Man," I seriously thought the Boss had covered Pearl Jam. Oh well, I can dream, right?
As MatS mentioned, it's no Thunder Road, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Bruce is actually coming to Lexington KY in November (which I find really hard to believe, but if Bono & U2 can play here, who's next?), but tix haven't gone on sale yet. What are they running? I'm sure mucho, but I'm sure well worth it.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I don't quite have alot too say other than I can't seem to put it down. Reading into the fire (in my opinion) from someone who was saved by a fearless fireman or policeman is spooky. I agree Skin to Skin is odd. I wish the media would stay out of it but I guess that's the media.
Just like old Bruce, your interpretation will vary. Worlds apart is pretty cool with a mellow edge.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
This album is awsome. A little mellow. Reminds me a lot of the Tunnel of Love album. I really like it. I also agree The Rising is a great song. The more I listen to this album the better it gets. I bought it tonight and I am on my second listen and it is already growing on me. I know I can't really afford it but I am off to ticketmaster to check on tickets to the Concert. I have never seen Bruce live and I have to even if I have to sell my soul.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I am listening to The Rising as I type. Kinda dark lyrically, but most of the songs are written in a major key, giving the songs a feeling of optimism and hope. Pretty deep stuff if you really get into it. I think the album is great.
My wife bought me the special edition, which is cool because I didn't even realize there was one:)
I plan on seeing Bruce in Toronto and Albany, both in mid December.
Hopefully I'll get a little Christmas music:D
By the way if you can get tickets, all seats in all shows are 75 bucks...floor is general admission...
later guys
dan

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Where is everybody. I expected more discussion of this album. This is such a great album and Bruce is the man. No studio album for 7 years, you would think there would be more Bruce fans on the forum that would be dying to discuss his music.

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
True,

I guess it is tough to chat when you can't put down the album. On listen number 5. I can't get enough. This album gets better and better with every listen. I really like Into the Fire. Deep lyrics and it could be a really depressing song but it ends up being very up lifting. I kind of see it as let's remember what happened but let's not let the heros die in vain. Let's rise above and use the stregnth of thier sacrafice to make this a better place.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
What a pleasant surprise to get a great Springsteen album again, after the generic blandness of Human Touch/Lucky Town and the painful overearnestness of Tom Joad.

Bringing in Brendan O'Brien probably had a lot to do with it, but Bruce himself sounds focused and inspired, so this may have been great even if the "usual suspects" had produced it.

"Worlds Apart" is my favorite so far -- what a great song.

Ryan

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I agree - this is a fantastic album.

I feel that if "the ususal suspects" produced this album, we still wouldn't have it in our hands. The inner circle that has produced his albums over the years seem to have given in to Bruces infamous agonizing about track selection. Brendan O' Brien seems to have allowed the "Springsteen camp" to work more efficiently, and I'm sure he pointed out that the album was in the can and ready to roll.

Is it me, or does Bruce, Steve and the rest of the band seem to be RELIEVED that they didn't have to produce it? It seem that way in interviews..

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
I'm really enjoying this record, have listened to it entirely maybe a dozen times now...bought it and made copies for my office, truck, home, wife's car, etc...hehehe.

Empty Sky, Missing, The Rising, My City and Lonesome Day are some of the early standouts for me....keep listening!!

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks