What's new

Brotherhood of the Wolf - Ultimate Edition (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have just seen the cover art for a seemingly new edition of Brotherhood of the Wolf, on the Dark Horizons website. This is a 4 disc edition, and looks like it is from France as the artwork is in French (although Ultimate Edition is in English so maybe its Canadian)

Anyone have any idea about this, and what the specs are - and more importantly whether this will include English subs. I bought the 3 disc version, but was very disappointed with the transfer so maybe this version will be improved.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
So does anyone know if this is going to be in the US at all?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Just get the Canadian version. Disc 4 is the soundtrack. the Canada doesn't suffer from PAL speedup and has the same extras(despite the transfer being flakey in places, it's totally adequate)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The cover art for the 4-disc set listed at Dark Horizons isn't for the Australian edition. The film is only known locally as 'Brotherhood of the Wolf', and isn't likely to be released under the French title. More obviously, the Australian censorship board requires all local film classifications to be shown on the front cover of the DVD artwork (you'll see them added to the front of the deluxe PEARL HARBOUR and FELLOWSHIP box sets, for example). The WOLF box shown has no such rating on the front. From what i've heard, the upcoming 4-disc set adds an extra disc with some new interviews (some historians or something) and maybe another small doco or two. Aside from the inferior video quality on the Canadian disc (and, obviously, the lack of subs on the Gans commentary) did anyone really feel that the TVA 3-disc set was lacking in supplemental material?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The UE contains a fourth disc which has:

- "The Beast of Gévaudan" (the 1967 TV film which inspired director Christophe Gans)
- a new 15 min. introduction from Gans and writer Michel Subiela
- the documentary "Men of the Shade"
- a 30min interview with Christophe Gans by Jean-Pierre Jackson
- US and Canal + trailers
- US and UK posters

It also contains the same three discs from the previous French DVD (which were carried over for the Canadian DVD).

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Surely releasing a Region 1 4-disc set would plug a gap in the market, and avoid sales being leeched away by the Canadian edition? If Universal released the 4-disc version, with subtitles on all the supplements (including the commentary tracks) - a modest expense, surely? - I'm sure many fans wouldn't mind upgrading!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I would upgrade if the trsnsfer was improved. Sure the transfer is adequate on the 3 disc version, which I do have, but this is one film that is crying out for a grest transfer.

Anyone have the R2 UK version special edition released as an HMV exclusive. I havent heard anything about the transfer on that one, though I understand its not the directors cut.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
So has anybody confirmed that this is going to be an American R1 edition?

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I REALLY REALLY hope that this is an R1 edition with subs for all supplementary materials, plus the DTS track from the French release. I have the French edition and absolutely love the picture quality and DTS track--I've deliberately held back on purchasing the Canadian 3-disc in the secret hope that justice will be done in R1. Please, please, please....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks