What's new

bright family room video (1 Viewer)

Jan asa

Auditioning
Hi again: I am looking for around a 40" "screen", as flat as possible for a very bright open family room. All the reviews rptv, crt. lcd are "great" I sure wish the pros reviews could be more critical ( bless the al mighty advertising dollar) Many thanx for your help? :frowning:

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
You're wise to consider the ambient light in your purchase. The more the screen has to compete with that light, the harder you have to push brightness and contrast to get a good subjective picture which will shorten the life of your set.

If your family room is really that bright (and I'm asuming some window treatments to control the light aren't in the plans) then I'd stay away from rptv and choose a direct view set...CRT...Plasma or LCD.

If by "flat" you mean thin, then that rules out CRT.

That leaves the top two most expensive solutions...LCD and Plasma. Personally, I'm a plasma fan. LCDs tend to have higher resolution but black levels are still creeping their way up and they cost more than plasma to get any real size. My family room has a huge French window on the adjacent wall to my 50" plasma. For daytime viewing of average things like baseball games or sitcoms it does fine with levels calibrated with Avia. When I seriously want to watch a movie, though, we have heavy blackout drapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks