What's new

Bridget Jones's Diary - Dialog Alterations? (1 Viewer)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
At the very beginning of BJD, in the version I saw in theaters back then, I remmeber her saying "This is my 32nd year of being a SINGLETON" but I just checked out the beginning of the DVD and she says "... Of being a SINGLE". And there is even a pause giving the impression that they cut it.
WTF?
Why would they do that?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't think they did. You may be confusing two different bits of dialogue. Bridget refers to herself in voiceover as a "singleton" a minute or so later in the film, when she first encounters her uncle at the party.
The line you're quoting is the very first line of the film. I don't hear a pause on the DVD, and the phrasing is as I remember it from the theater.
M.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
You're right, I watched the entire film yesterday and I heard that part...
Nice DVD... The Deleted Scenes are in 5.1! And even the Shelby Lynn(sp?) Music Video was in 5.1!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
That may be the same, but the end sequence in the deleted scenes wasn't deleted in the UK! So now I've not got the version I originally saw.
frown.gif
(mumblemumbleLucasmumble)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
but the end sequence in the deleted scenes wasn't deleted in the UK!
Interesting! When I saw that scene on the DVD, I thought it was pretty good and wondered why it was cut. As released in the U.S., the film loses a little steam in the last 20 minutes after the "villain" (i.e., Hugh Grant) disappears. Bringing him back for a final laugh seems like a sound strategy.
M.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The end sequence was different in Europe to that in the US (Universal own the rights outside North America and may have decided it was more appropriate for that audience). To me, the European version is better for the ending and I'll be selling the R1 version with a R2/4 purchase on the cards in December.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
The R2 version has the "c" word cut to get a 15 rating in the UK - God knows why! but there you go (was cut for the cinema as well).
There are apparantly other various minor differences in dialogue and on-screen captions depending whether you saw the US or International release in the cinema.
I'm glad they did this actually as otherwise here in the UK we'd have had the same situation as with "Notting Hill", with it's daft 'Americanised' references to "Bevis and Butthead" 'antiques' and "Cookie Monster" hair-styles. They are hardly the first things anyone in the UK would refer to! Especially someone like the Hugh Grant character who most probably would never have heard of them anyway!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
"There are subtle differences between the same scenes in the USA and UK versions of the movie. This includes not only different takes of the scene, but sometimes different dialogue. For example, one version of the first job interview has a question about "the El Niño phenomenon", others have a question about Microsoft. In addition, during the credits, the USA version has a home movie of Mark Darcy's 8th birthday party with the young Bridget. The UK version has interviews with the various characters about the new relationship between Bridget and Mark".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks