Bridget Jones's Diary - Dialog Alterations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

At the very beginning of BJD, in the version I saw in theaters back then, I remmeber her saying "This is my 32nd year of being a SINGLETON" but I just checked out the beginning of the DVD and she says "... Of being a SINGLE". And there is even a pause giving the impression that they cut it.
    WTF?
    Why would they do that?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't think they did. You may be confusing two different bits of dialogue. Bridget refers to herself in voiceover as a "singleton" a minute or so later in the film, when she first encounters her uncle at the party.
    The line you're quoting is the very first line of the film. I don't hear a pause on the DVD, and the phrasing is as I remember it from the theater.
    M.

3. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

You're right, I watched the entire film yesterday and I heard that part...
    Nice DVD... The Deleted Scenes are in 5.1! And even the Shelby Lynn(sp?) Music Video was in 5.1!

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

That may be the same, but the end sequence in the deleted scenes wasn't deleted in the UK! So now I've not got the version I originally saw. [​IMG] (mumblemumbleLucasmumble)

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The end sequence was different in Europe to that in the US (Universal own the rights outside North America and may have decided it was more appropriate for that audience). To me, the European version is better for the ending and I'll be selling the R1 version with a R2/4 purchase on the cards in December.

8. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

The R2 version has the "c" word cut to get a 15 rating in the UK - God knows why! but there you go (was cut for the cinema as well).
    There are apparantly other various minor differences in dialogue and on-screen captions depending whether you saw the US or International release in the cinema.
    I'm glad they did this actually as otherwise here in the UK we'd have had the same situation as with "Notting Hill", with it's daft 'Americanised' references to "Bevis and Butthead" 'antiques' and "Cookie Monster" hair-styles. They are hardly the first things anyone in the UK would refer to! Especially someone like the Hugh Grant character who most probably would never have heard of them anyway!

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer