What's new

Brian Ferry's "FRANTIC" on SACD and DVD-A. How is/are it/they? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
How is/are it/they?

Recommended for a fan of Bowie's HEATHEN... or too mannered and sterile for a rock-n-roll genie like me? ;)

And has anyone compared the two formats with this title?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Buy the SACD. It's hybrid and it sounds good in stereo. Lately I can't bear to remove my player from my stereo system so I haven't listened to the M/C mix. It's a pretty good album too. He has some help from his old bud Eno too. Best wishes!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I have this one in 3 formats...CD/SACD/DVDA. I love all three versions...each slightly different.

Of the three, the SACD is probably the one to get if you can have only one. Very nice sound on the Multi-mix. If you like Roxy Music at all, you will love this album.

My 2 favorite songs are "Hiroshima" and " I Thought".

"Hiroshima" sounds fantastic in Multi especially on the DVDA where the surrounds really come into play.

I think this is one of the best albums of 2002. A great comeback for Bryan Ferry.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled to get even two responses on this one! I've looked everywhere, and while there's a lot of expectation regarding the upcoming AVALON SACD, it seemed that no one cared (much less heard) this album. I'm not a huge fan, but I've always respected Ferry's work and I tend to like the musicians he works with and borrows from. But, you know, sometimes those late-era efforts are real dogs...

I also find it real interesting that there seem to be different mixes on the two multichannel releases. Is this always true, at least to some extent? Is attempting an identical mix for the two different applications always an approximation, at best? Lee? John (Kotches)?

At any rate, as this is one of only a small handful of titles released on both formats, I'd expected to hear more feedback. But I really appreciate your thoughts, Rachael and John, and I've got this one on my to-buy list!

(I'd love to hear some more feedback, if anyone's in a position to give it!)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard this album, but I sure wish they would release "As Time Goes By" on hi rez in one format or another.

I really like that album and Mr. Ferry does a wonderful job on some of those old standards. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Rich, I really like the 2 old Bob Dylan songs and CRUEL. CRUEL is so roxy sounding. I am not the biggest Roxy Music fan ever, my fav album by them is FOR YOUR PLEASURE... hmnnn, I wish it was on SACD! Anyway, I decided a couple of months ago that my SACD collection was too jazz so I obtained this album and a wee few others;) to balance out my collection. I was not disappointed by it. The recording, stereo, seems very above average to boot. I doubt you'd be disappointed...?

I am amazed a bunch of people are not comparing the SACD and DVD-A and then engaging in some friendly jousting:D ! Best wishes!:)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Is the Bryan Ferry - 'Frantic' DVD-A available as an import only? Besides Amazon ($36), where can I order it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks