What's new

Breathless/À bout de souffle (1960) 4K UHD Amazon UK (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
For those of you who miss the days of opening a laserdisc box, the newly released 4K UHD restoration comes in exactly the same size box as one of those Criterion CAV triple disc sets. Because they decided to include a vinyl LP of the soundtrack. I don't have a record player and I don't want huge boxes containing a single film these days, because shelf-space is a premium - but this box is the only way to get your mitts on the 4K UHD of Breathless with English sub-titles.

Always a bit of a crap-shoot with StudioCanal's restorations - you never know when they suddenly want to start doing funny things like removing film grain, but this particular release looks amazing projected in 4K. Breathless is another one of those core films, which I've owned in every format Criterion has released it in. I found myself just gawping at the picture last night, which has always previously reflected its guerilla-style production origins. The grey tones, grain and detail are exquisite on the 4K disc. Really stunning - a whole new experience. I spot-checked the blu-ray afterwards, but it looks nowhere near as good. The contrasts, detail and grain aren't reproduced well at all. So no good trying to get the cheaper, and more shelf-friendly, blu-ray version!

You kind of wonder what might have been, if Criterion had decided to release their Fellini box in 4K.

IMG_2824.jpg IMG_2823.jpg
IMG_2825.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

A reminder of how many films Godard made. Even with the ones included in the Criterion collection and the StudioCanal releases, there are many missing.

I've received the replacement Criterion disc for the oxidised Vivre Sa Vie one and will be having a double bill with Le Petit Soldat tonight.

The nice 4K restored Alphaville available on the UK StudioCanal box is long overdue in the Criterion Collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks