What's new

Brazil: Criterion Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone!

I have just stumbled upon a copy of the Brazil: CC DVD. I can't remember seeing it anywhere for a long time, and Amazon doesn't seem to have it in stock. Can anyone tell me if it's OOP? Also, what are your thoughts on this very expensive disc? Thanks for any response!

Rob

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Nope, Brazil isn't OOP. DVDPlanet has copies in stock.

If you're a fan of the film, the Criterion DVD is the one to own!

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I agree with David. IMHO it set the standard for SE's. The only downside is that it is not 16x9 anamorphic.;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Criterion will ever create new 16x9 transfer for Brazil? Is it DD5.1? They could add DTS too...
Or would people actually pay another $60?
Hmmm... I guess that not everyone is a DVD playboy like me, eh? :laugh:
Gordy (DVD Playboy)

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
No, it's not OOP. It is, however, an excellent set and perhaps the crown jewel of my collection. I just listened to Gilliam's commentary track a few days ago... pure gold. "People have analyzed this scene a lot, but it's really just me fighting boredom." :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I consider the Criterion edition a must for those who love Brazil or want to better understand the process of how a film gets made and distributed. The so-called, Love Conquers All version of the film, complete with commentary is extremely interesting for those interested in editing or cinematography—it’s a must for them also.

As I fit in all three categories, I thought the cost very reasonable.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, one of the best sets out there. Criterion should just re-release the film only with a brand spankin' new 1080p transfer downconverted to 16x9 enhanced 1.85:1 DVD off a new IP of fully restored camera negatives. Terry Gilliam should be fully involved.

Fully remix the film to 5.1 or 6.1 discrete to bring out the atmosphere of the brilliant scenes like Sony did with Das Boot (8-channel surround mastering on that one no less!) and release it with DTS or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

Then those with the boxed set already could use it to analyze the film and watch the documentaries, and use the new transfer and new soundtrack presentation to watch the film.

Dan

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Give me a nice anamorphic transfer and the original theatrical mix at a higher bitrate, and I'll be sound as a pound. If they can re-purpose the original mix for discrete 4.0, that would be fine, too.

Regards,

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Buy this movie.

It won't get better than this. Criterion doesn't redo their 2-3 disc editions.

If you liked Fight Club, Citizen Kane, and 12 Monkeys, you were MADE to buy this set. trust me. After all, what else that's better would you do with $45? I bought this blind, and I love it. Gilliam's commentary is one of the best out there. Believe me, you have to get this. Intriguing set design, thought provoking concepts, dark, black humor, all in a 3 disc CRITERION COLLECTION?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Have to agree with Nathan. It would be very suprising if Criterion would re-release this and aside from the lack of anamorphic treatment (which is a deal breaker for me as well), the box set is killer.

Bruce

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I have been curious about this film for a while. I think I'll pick it up. Thanks for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks