1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Brad new Laserdisc player (Panasonic LX-121) on sale at eBay.

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Kyrsten Brad, Mar 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 5 Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
  2. Message #2 of 5 Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Well it's unique.

It's appears like it was a commercial player so I'm not sure what it's actually purpose was. Many untis like this were to be used in schools for educational videos or businesses to continuously loop a 30 minute disc or factories to do 1000 times per month repeated training videos, trade shows to loop an advertising pitch. Some of them could be used to do semi interactive quizzes or training sessions almost like those LaserActive Disc Based Video Games (?Dragon's Lair I think was one of the biggest) . I'm pretty sure most of those Games used Pioneer Commercial players

OTOH a 1992 era player that hasn't been used/oiled/serviced -- who knows what's going on inside. Everything could be rotten or frozen up.
    I'm almost bet the belt is dry/cracked, who knows what the capacitors are doing especially not knowing where it was stored for 25+ years.

A couple of the Panasonic Players were pretty well respected -- the 900 and 1000. The 1000 was gorgeous, but had some issues that needed tweaked from my memory and listening to Kurtis Bahr write about them. Didn't suffer from the dreaded "smear" that so many Pioneers had an issue with

Kyrsten Brad likes this.
  3. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    ^^ you're fun at parties!! lol

4. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Shows what I know. Never thought of the possibility that sheer age might render a unused player inoperative. But that seems quite possible.
    Come to think of it, I might want to check on my very little used VHS player. Might have the same problem.

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer

If it was stored properly maybe it could be fine, but I've always been taught that most electronics don't seem to like sitting idle for (extreme) long periods of time. Belts dry out,rubber deteriorates, lubricants dry up if they're not being refreshed of smeared around. Well I guess I've heard that more with vintage care, but old electronics too -- turn it on and drive it occasionally, check old belts, hoses, oil, tires to make sure they're OK.

If it was stored in a non climate controlled space then who knows.