What's new

Bowers & Wilkins - Vs - Monitor Audio?? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard the B&W's. But I have heard the Paradigm Studio's (had them in my setup for over a year) and I've also heard the Monitor Audio Golds. Both are great speakers but for my tastes both are a little bit forward in nature. Count me in the camp that prefers something a little more laid back like the Dynaudio's/Linn/Totem mold or my personal favorites...ACI.

The reason I am posting here is this...if you have your heart set on the B&W's Marco, you should get them. You may find a speaker you like more, but will you like it more to overcome a bias towards the B&W look? Trust me, I've been in this hobby a while and you seem to be a guy who will find a reason to like the B&W's. If you get something else, I think you might have buyers remorse. The same buyers remorse you won't have with the B&W's.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Marco:

I just wanted to see if you are aware of a couple things.

1) The SCM-1 is an on-wall speaker which is more expensive than the 805, which is a bookshelf speaker

2) The SCM-1 has been sort-of replaced by the SCM-S which costs the same as the SCM-1

JordanS

Second Unit
I have listened to the Nautilus 802's with some Mac gear.....and was blown away!! 'Comfortably Numb' never sounded so great!:emoji_thumbsup:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I truly appreciate all this feedback so much!!!

Robert, I'm going to be at the festival Friday evening as well, thanks for putting me on! Unfortunately B&W doesnt seem to be showcasing but at least I'll have a chance to audition the Energy and Paradigm lines and speak to other dealers and enthusiasts to help my decision...

Evan, thanks for your opinions... I think you're right about the B&W's, I have to admit. :)

When I started researching sound setup months back and was checking out my many options to determine what direction I was going to follow and how much I could afford to spend, I realised that once I was excelling into this price range that I've come to the variations between equipment is really a subtle and distinct preferance in terms of harmonic content and quality. I guess it's really an individual basis at this level because people tend to lean toward a certain sound.

Personally, if I were to go with the B&W's, I don't think I'd ever be able to find any element that would dissapoint. So right now, I guess what I'm really looking at is the overall package; price vs. quality vs aesthetic vs. convenience, etc. The size and sleek design of the B&W's are truthfully an enormous push for me.

I just spent a ridiculous ammount of money on a beautiful condominium loft overlooking the canal in downtown Montreal and have never spent this sort of money on anything in my entire life amd it's a huge deal for me! I'm putting a lot of time and money into decorating and furnishing and in the end, I do not wish to manipulate my livingroom around my HT but my HT around the room. The B&W's, on top of offering great sound performance, would sure look damn great and blend in perfectly. The last thing I want is to sacrifice my livingroom space by having oversized free-standing speakers sticking out and crowding the spaciousness of the room, which in actuality is quite limited. I figure that in the end, there is always going to be sacrifices from one element over another.

I'm only hesitant because I want to be sure that I put in the thorough research and shoot for the best. I think for what I'm looking to spend, it's well deserved!

So far, I haven't found any other speakers that have drawn my attention as much as the B&W Nautilus line, but I am still checking out the ones suggested in this thread, specifically the Paradigm Signatures..

SethH, thanks a lot - I was aware that the SCM-1's were wall mounted (I really don't have the space to sacrifice for anything else)... but I did NOT know about the SCM-S. Im going to plug it into Google right now, but could you explain the difference in the speakers? Are they just an updated version of the past year's model which have been slightly refined, are there any significant attributes over the SCM-1's?

Thanks so much for letting me know!!

And if the B&W 800 line is good for Lucas, I think I can make it work! :)

(yes, I really am partial to these!)

Anyways, Thanks again everyone for all your helpful suggestions and opinions!!!

Robert, maybe I'll run into you at the show Friday... :}

Thanks again guys, you should start charging servicing fees for your constant help!!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure if there are any advantages over the SCM-1's. I know the tweeter is configured differently. It is built into the cabinet instead of resting on top in traditional nautilus style. I'm not sure what affect this will have on the sound. The good news is that, perhaps, with these coming out you could find an even better bargain on the SCM-1's.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I have one last question for you guys before making my final decision...

Have you ever heard the Speakerface MT8.5 in-wall speakers?

Those are now a consideration as well and I'd just like to know what some possible advantages/disadvantages there are with in-wall speakers apart from the obvious space-aesthetic purposes. Is the quality of sound effected at all and would you guys reccommend it over cabinets?

Would you say that these speakers could measure up to the Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus line or am I looking at an entirely different category now?

Please let me know what you think of these Speakerbox MT8.5's. I'm looking up reviews online and having difficulty coming up with anything...

Thanks once again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks