What's new

Monitor Audio RS W12 --VS-- Bowers & Wilkins ASW 750/855 (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So I'm about to close the curtains on my home theater project, it's been one full year of excitement and anticipation and I'm finally on the final stage...

The only thing that's left right now, is a subwoofer. :)

I'm looking at both aesthetic and quality. They are of equal importance for where I am right now. Relative size and compactness is a factor. I'm definitely looking towards a closed cabinet unit, no cyllinders or upstanding oversized hardware.

I am specifically looking at two companies which range significantly in price...

MONITOR AUDIO

+

BOWERS & WILKINS

I am considering the Monitor & Audio RSW12.

The specs are as follows:

* Frequency Response: 21Hz - 120KHz

* Power Handling (RMS): 500 Watts (R.M.S) - 1000 Watts (Peak)

* Drive Unit Compliment: 1 x 12” C-CAM® Sub-woofer driver featuring triple suspension and 3" long voice coil.

* Dimensions: 34 H - 34 W - 37 D

I am also looking at BOWERS & WILKINS ASW 750 or 855.

I'm not quite sure the difference in specs right now but am looking into it. I also have no idea what I'm looking at as far as pricing but I assume it's in the 3k range.

You can read up on specs if you click on the link at the right of the page, here.

One major plus that this subs got over the Monitor Audio unit, is size. It's about half the dimensions if the M&A and seems to be just as powerful... but that's where you guys come in!

I would like to hear your advice or opinions on both companies, I've never auditioned either sub and am not sure which would fare better with my Speakercraft 8.8 MT and Arcam P7 & AV8 setup.

I would like to know in the end, which subwoofer would be delivering the better bang.

I don't mind shelling out the extra funds for quality... but if money was not an option, what would YOU chose and why?

Like always, your help is EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Seriously, look into the HSU VTF-3 or SVS PB-12/2 or 12/2 plus. 3K will not buy you a sub that will outperform either of these at half or less than that price. Both can be had in attractive finishes as well. Why fixed on a sealed cabinet?

How big is your room?

B&W is not known for spectacular subs, especially when it comes to value, compared to what you can get from the likes of HSU and SVS. I've never heard MA's subs.

I haven't heard this guy either, because it's relatively new, but the Rava MkII is sealed.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions John.

Unfortunately I am working with very tight space and an even bigger factor is that this already tight space is my living room.

I'm in a small 1250 sq. ft. condo unit and simply don't have place for larger hardware. It is also extremely important for me to not have anythbing that really stands out or contrasts with the aesthetics of the room. I want something relatively small and it needs to be a closed cabinet unit.

It might sound trivial to you guys, but it's is extremely important to me to find a subwoofer than not only performs, but looks good too!

Right now, unless someone could point me in the direction of a higher end company that offers quality performance subs that could match my needs, I'm really only looking at these two copmanies.

I know I could possibly get better bass from SVS, but it's really not what I'm looking at.

What I would like to know, is which of these two companies or products in specific, would deliver the most power and performance?

The Monitor Audio RS W12... or the B&W ASW 855?

If you could help me out with these it would be such an enormous help!!

I'm having a lot of difficulty comparing these two units.

Also, if anyone happens to know what finnishes the B&W comes in, it would also be really helpfull...

Thanks a lot!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Okay, after an insightful discussion at the A/V Forums... I've decided that B&W it is!

Now, can anyone clue me in on the expected msrp of the 855?

Would I be looking in the 5k CAD range?

Thx.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Based on the currect currency exchange the ASW750 would be going for $2143 USD based on the price on their site which is in GBP.

They do not list the price for the 855. I would start out by calling around to various dealers to get an idea of price. In negotiating you should try to get about 10% off MSRP. It may be hard to get more than that if you're only buying the sub.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Seth, I have a dealer who's been working on my HT for the past year. I got 99% of my hardware through him - projector, screen, amp, pre-amp, speakers, etc. He did all the instalations, wiring, setup and calibration. He even built my component rack. A super nice guy and I'm sure he won't ask more than whatever he can bring it in for. I just wanted to get a rough idea of what I'd be paying. I guess if it's $2,143 US for the 750... it'd probably be close to 3k for the 855. So I guess I'm roughly looking at spending in the vicinity of $3,500 - $4,000 CAD. Better start saving.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks