What's new

Bought from Ebay & no response from seller after 5 days? Am i just too impatient? (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I bought Windows XP Professional from and ebayer that has 93 positive feedback and 1 negative(which I can't find in the feedback area). It's been 5 days since the item closed and I emailed him 2 days ago with no response. I'm starting to get worried. Am I just too impatient or should I expect a response within 5 days. I think 5 days is more than enough time to give an estimated delivery date no matter how busy you are. It's not like he has any auctions going on currently.

Worried but hopeful - Chet_F

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Chet

I would be worried too. I guess you paid already? Ebay has some sort of protection program. It is good that you have not given up hope.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
What I would do, Chet, is hold onto all your e-mails as documentation. That way you have proof that you've attempted to contact him. After about two weeks, if you've still not heard back from him, I would contact him through eBay. They have a feedback form where you can request they send an automated letter to the seller stating that he's not responded to your requests and that he contact you. If/when he does respond, then deal with him directly. Hope that helps! :)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I was in the same boat as you are. I finaly heard from the guy after about a week. So I would give him a day or so, and then e-mail him again.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Yea, I paid for the software a minute after the auction closed. I always pay right away to avoid any delay. I figured it was a pretty solid sale since he had 93 positive feedback.

"hold onto all your e-mails as documentation"

I decided to do that after the 1st email received no response. I emailed him again today. Hopefully he responds. I really needed the software as soon as possible and his feedback indicates that he's a fast shipper.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
He could be on vacation although he should have mentioned that. Also he might have computer problems. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. There is so much bad press about ebay but I've rarely had problems.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting on an item for 40 days now, I'm giving the guy another 5 days, and then I'm reporting non-receipt of item, and getting my money back from paypal.

James T

Screenwriter

Are you sure you even have a case with Paypal? Unless they changed it, you have only thirty days to report an issue. I tried a week after(so approx. 37 days) and they would not even look at my claim.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On Paypal, it's now 45 days, so I decided to just file the claim. It's not a lot of money at stake, I think $8-$12, but the principle of the thing gnaws at me.

(Sorry about hijacking the thread!)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Funny seeing this here. I just got a retalitory neg from a guy who I negged earlier today. He purchased a DVD from me back in mid-May and sent an email promising to pay with a money order. I never got the money order and he didn't respond to two follow-up emails. But boy was he quick to leave that neg for me - about six hours after I left him his. Where ya been the last two months, buddy? I see you didn't pay for your last win either. Jerk. :angry:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I thought my first ebay buying experience around last christmas was going to turn into a horror story but all ended well. I bought some Rambus from a guy and we kept in contact but 3 weeks later I still had no item in the mail after he said I should have had it almost 2 weeks before. I was getting worried and let it be known in the emails since it was my first online transaction and he said don't fret. He sent out another package and this one I recieved, a month after purchasing - but he was nice enough to refund me 50 dollars for the hassle.

Kudus' to Travis in New Jersey, not many would have done that :emoji_thumbsup:

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
A little off topic but I'm just venting. The only negative feedback I've ever gotten was retaliatory from a guy I left neutral feedback for. It really pissed me off that someone ruined my perfect record. After emailing eBay for about two weeks they determined that it was retaliatory feedback (and wrong of the guy to have posted) but they would not remove it. What really surprised me is how this dude stayed a member of eBay. Over the years he has received over 10 negatives and a handful of neutrals.

I too have had to wait 2 weeks for some people to respond to both items I've bought and sold. 95% of the time there is a good excuse (vacation, computer problems etc) but the deals have worked out when I was buying an item. The other 5% were always for items I tried to sell and never got responses from the winning bidder.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/7d/images_smiley_spidey.gif] [/url]

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
You're not the only one, Frank and Steve. That happened to me about four years ago as well. This one buyer had won an auction I had for one of my videos I was parting with (because I'd upgraded to DVD), and after several weeks of no response and no payment at all, I went through the formalities with eBay and had them send several non-payment e-mails to her. Still no response. Fortunately I had made sure to retain all of my correspondence to her as documentation I could present to eBay's excellent customer service. I checked on her auction history and saw that she had not only reneged on my auction but on other auctions as well and didn't pay up. And she wound up giving me a negative rating because of it, calling me a liar and saying I had listed wrong contact information in my profile - all of which wasn't true. The bottom line was that she had never paid for her auction to begin with, and all I had to refute her word was my archived e-mails to her. It left me with no choice but to leave a negative feedback for her, with my documentation as proof. Eventually eBay suspended her account because she had reneged on too many auctions and they had received too many complaints about her. It resulted in the only negative rating on an otherwise spotless auction record for me.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading something about leaving negative feedback. Something like, you can't leave feedback after 90 days, so if you must leave negative feedback, and you're worried about getting retalliated against, do it just before the ninetieth day is over.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I hope this gets resolved for you. I just got an item yesterday, but the seller didn't respond to two requests for tracking info and that usually makes me nervous. His feedback was good and an auction that ended around the same time completed positively, so I trusted that I would get my item within a week. I've been with eBay since late 1997 and have only had one "lost" item, which only set me back $24. Contrast that with Amazon auctions, which I tried as a seller when it first started, and the majority of those auctions failed because of non-paying bidders. I suppose it's better now, but I'm guessing alot of those people didn't know what the heck they were doing.

James T

Screenwriter
This thread is starting to get off topic, and I hope it's okay with the thread starter since there is important info here.

Someone posted a feedback question on another forum where I post and a response to the question was that even if you post the feedback with one second left before the ninety days, the other person can still respond to the feedback. It was something that was changed to avoid getting trapped with a negative.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Chet_F,
it wasn't from Volcanogames was it? I have had two bad experiences with them and personally know at least four others around the country who have also been gypped by them, I currently have a paypal dispute pending with them.
The cd-rom the claim is about was only 1 cent but the shipping was 11.00 bucks! When it arrived the CD was scratched beyond repair and they wouldn't respond to several e-mails & I noticed an alarming amount of similar complaints regarding them in their feedback despite them having a 99% positive rating, I then noticed that many of the positive reviews had been re-sent five or six times in a row giving them a false positive rating...so I entered the claim with Paypal...still waiting.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I had ordered a pair of shoes on Ebay. Since the terms of sale in the auction said "buyer must contact seller within 3 business days", I spent a week and 4 emails waiting to hear back from him. After that week was up and STILL no contact from the seller, I presumed the contract broken and cancelled the sale. Bastard left me a neg. and took me to SafeHarbor mediation to try to force the sale! I countered, saying he broke the Ebay sales contract by not responding within the set timeframe, and demanded to have my neg. removed. I also informed the mediator that this guy had a rash of negatives (somewhere around 12) in the past two weeks for lack of communication. In the end, the sale was cancelled, but my neg. remained. This is why I rarely use Ebay...

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Ebay has automated their auction system to the point that neither the buyer or seller need respond to each other if they don't want to. I used to have a standard spiel I had to modify for each of my buyers, but Ebays automatic system works so well that I've come to rely on it only and make my life a bit easier.

So nothing may be wrong - yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks