Bought a new van..double teamed...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shawn C, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Well, me + wife + 1 yr old + mother in law + seeing eye dog + brother in law = 1 minivan, please.... [​IMG]

I have now confirmed the finance office double-team. Everything was going great the the Kia dealership until we go to the finance office. It was a brand new dealership that had just opened the day before.

Anyways, here comes Mr. Finance and his 'buddy'. "I'm learning the computer. [​IMG] "

The double team didn't come into effect until they wanted to sell me an extended warranty on a vehicle with 10/100,000 powertrain and 5/60,000 bumper to bumper.

I must have told them three times that I didn't want it. They kept pressing me by telling me that the bank would give me a lower interest rate if the vehicle was protected for the entire length of the loan. Well, genius, it already IS COVERED FROM THE FACTORY FOR 5 YEARS! They wanted to sell me a 10/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for $1300!!!! [​IMG]

They finally gave up when we started to walk out. Oh, and by the way, Mr. "I'm learning the computer" seemed to know more about the computer than the guy running the computer. He should, since he used to work at the dealership where I bought my Avalanche a few months back. Oh, and he was still learning the computer then, too.....

In the end, we got a decent deal on the minivan, fully loaded 2003 Kia Sedona ($22,000).

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they ALWAYS hit you with the warranty man, then the paint sealant, the glass etching etc..etc... [​IMG]

way to go and congrats!

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> They kept pressing me by telling me that the bank would give me a lower interest rate if the vehicle was protected for the entire length of the loan.

That may be illegal, trying to tie financing to warranty coverage. The warranty shouldn't matter to the bank; you still owe them the same regardless of what happens to the van.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

glass etching isn't bad, some of the better companies will give you like 5Gs if your car is stolen.

Brent

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I got glass etching on my 2000 Celica for free. [​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, they use different people for the other tasks and apparently, they don't pass information. When I bought my MR2 Spyder, I had to travel to Falls Church, VA from NJ to pick it up. about 250 miles or so. My salesman knew I was out of state but apparently I still got the spiel about leaving the car for their so called "undercoating" and they wanted to give me a tour of their service center. I had to literally show them my driver's license to convince them I didn't live around there and was highly unliked to drive 250 miles for service shall I ever need any.

Jay

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Homer Simpson: "Extended Warranty!?? How can I lose!!!!!" [​IMG]

I am adamant about not going for any extended warranties. Considering the extended warranties usually only cover manufacturers defects, if you're car has a defect, you'll most likely notice it within the first year and NOT after 5.

Side note: I was buying a TV at Circuit City and I kept refusing the extended warranty...The guy thought he was smart and said "Well, you wouldn't buy a car WITHOUT an extended warranty!!!" and my response was "I do it all the time"...He didn't know how to respond to that [​IMG]

8. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I've gotten to hate dealing with the finance people when buying a car. Recently the finance person quoted me a monthly rate on a 4.9% loan for a used car. It sounded high to me so I asked her to tell me exactly how much I'd be paying in interest. She hemmed and hawed and finally told me that the monthly rate included a fee that would pay off the car if it were totaled before the end of the loan. I told her I had car insurance that would cover that. It's incredible what the finance people at car dealers try to pull on you. You need to examine everything they do before signing anything.

9. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

What is Glass Etching?

10. MarkHastings

11. Michael St. Clair

Aren't most stolen cars parted out?

12. Michael St. Clair

Aren't most stolen cars parted out?

Can't all the windows be replaced for about a grand (with used or cheap third-party glass)?

Color me skeptical.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i swear .... these guys would sell you blinker fluid if they could. [​IMG]

good job sticking to your guns!

if at all possible, i always tell people to finance elsewhere. it completely takes away the dealer advantage.

14. MarkHastings

15. MarkHastings