What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Book Club (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91W6DTE4dgL._SX522_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am a bit surprised this didn;t have a thread (or else I couldn't find it) in the Movie section though I realize it's not in the wheelhouse for most Internet forums.

My wife and her buddies (no men allowed in their group) had a night out last night and all of them thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Report was a pretty big crowd for a weeknight and 95% of the theater was women plus a couple tagalong guys apparently and most of them weren't Milleniels.

I love the casting and actually think the movie looks pretty funny from the ads, but I wasn't invited so probably have to wait for the Bluray. For those not aware the "50 Shades" book plays virtually zero role in the actual movie either in style or substance. I did think it was somewhat cool to have Don Johnson in this though I'm not sure if his daughter;s role in the 50 Movies has any real impact on him getting the nod.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw this yesterday with my wife and mother-in-law (I wanted to go!) and I had a lot of fun. Was it the greatest movie ever? No, of course not. But it was the kind of mid-budget movie that they don't really make anymore, filled with great actors that you just want to spend time with, and an enjoyable story that is easily relatable (even if I'm not quite in the target demographic yet).

I think "50 Shades" is important to the movie in the sense that it's the catalyst for the four leading ladies to finally think to themselves (and to discuss), "Hey, we're getting older, but we're not dead yet, and we don't want to give up on romance and attraction yet" but in terms of the books actually being discussed in detail or anything, that's not really a big part of the story. But I think I got more enjoyment out of a quick montage of the four leading ladies each reading the book and having amusing reactions than I did from actually watching all two hours of the first "50 Shades" movie.

All of the leading ladies are fantastic (as you'd expect) but I also really enjoyed Craig T. Nelson, Don Johnson, Richard Dreyfuss and especially Andy Garcia. They all brought their "A" game too.

This may work better as a rental for some folks, but I think it's well worth a watch, particularly if you're a fan of the cast.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think "50 Shades" is important to the movie in the sense that it's the catalyst for the four leading ladies to finally think to themselves (and to discuss), "Hey, we're getting older, but we're not dead yet, and we don't want to give up on romance and attraction yet" but in terms of the books actually being discussed in detail or anything, that's not really a big part of the story..

Yes it was the kick off point to a general plot though any Romance Novel with a Half Naked man and woman on the cover would have worked, but wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the attention and Free Advertising.

Several folks I talked with ahead of time were worried (or convinced) it was just going to be a recreation of the book/movie with the actors recreating actual scenes from the book for comic effect -- "Why would I want to see that? " My wife had the same reaction as you about the fun of watching the ladies read and react to the book much more than she did about the real book/movie though she knew it really wasnt; going to be "Golden Girls Shades of Grey" going in.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Saw it on my own last week while on vacation. I enjoyed the heck out of Book Club. Genius? No. Engaging? Yes. Funny? Yup. A great way for me to spend 2 hours on a rainy Friday in Orlando? Absolutely. Do I need to see it again? Not really.

Seeing this many great actors and actresses together is a treat.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I must be a dissenting voice on Book Club.
Love the cast but unfortunately I found the movie to be mostly unfunny and by and large a waste of time and talent. Very happy for those that liked it but I am not one (nor was my wife).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks