What's new

Boogie Nights (2-disc) - Is it Discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hi
I was at Best Buy the other day and for some reason, they had like 50 copies of the Boogie Nights 2 disc version on display. I couldn't find any Sale on this item and was wondering why they had so many. Then, I went to Best Buy's website and they only list the 1-disc version.
So, is the 2 disc version OOP? I've always wanted to pick this up and don't want to miss the boat.
Anyone know?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I can obviously find it many places online. I'm just curious why Best Buy would have 50 copies of a relatively obscure movie unless they were blowing them out.

I don't really want to buy it right now, but if its going OOP, I will.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
As far as I know, it's not going out-of-print. It's still listed as being available on the Warner business-to-business website.

As for why your Best Buy has so many on display, maybe they got a deal to take a lot of extras out of a distributor (or BB had them sitting the warehouse and finally got them out to the stores). They do this from time to time, the local Best Buy here has around 200 copies of Rush Hour 2 on the floor now. They had maybe 20 copies three weeks ago.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone with retailer or wholesaler access would have insight.
By the way, I can understand 200 copies of Rush Hour. 50 copies of Boogie Nights is a bit more odd. :)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I was just at BB an hour ago, and noticed a bunch of the 2-disc Boogie Nights in a rack right next to the new releases, along a very odd assortment of other titles... Blade Runner, The Big Sleep, can't remember what else but it didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.

And yeah, they had a billion copies of Rush Hour 2 on display.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone with retailer or wholesaler access would have insight.
If an official announcement to retailers/wholesalers about a title going out of print has been made, it should be reflected in Link Removed. However, Image currently lists this title as "active."
DJ

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
If an official announcement to retailers/wholesalers about a title going out of print has been made, it should be reflected in Image's database. However, Image currently lists this title as "active."
I'm not sure what that DB represents but if you search on The Abyss Special Edition or Cast Away 2-disc, they both come up as active. They are both, however, very out of print.
A bunch other known OOP titles don't even have a listing.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I found the same situation at one of the local BB's today. Just to be safe, and since this has been on my to-buy list for some time, I picked it up.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I was just at BB an hour ago, and noticed a bunch of the 2-disc Boogie Nights in a rack right next to the new releases, along a very odd assortment of other titles... Blade Runner, The Big Sleep, can't remember what else but it didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. And yeah, they had a billion copies of Rush Hour 2 on display.
Sounds like Best Buy might have a display deal with certain Warner Home Video product (all of those titles are distributed through Warner, even the New Line ones). Often, the studio will PAY the retailer (usually in the form of an advertising credit) for featuring their titles in-store like this.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I was just at BB an hour ago, and noticed a bunch of the 2-disc Boogie Nights in a rack right next to the new releases, along a very odd assortment of other titles... Blade Runner, The Big Sleep, can't remember what else but it didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. And yeah, they had a billion copies of Rush Hour 2 on display.
I saw the same display this morning at out local BB in Vegas. There also might be a sale going on or I just got lucky with the price scans. Picked up Air force 1 superbit for 19.99 and The Haunting DTS for 17.99. Both two dollars less than the sticker price and there was no sales display or was these titles listed on sale in the 5/19 sales flyer.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I'm not sure what that DB represents but if you search on The Abyss Special Edition or Cast Away 2-disc, they both come up as active. They are both, however, very out of print.
Are you certain that an actual official Fox announcement was made declaring these releases out of print? If so, what is your source for that announcement?

DJ

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
David -- uhhhhhhhh, I don't know how you found that link on Best Buy's site but if you simply type "Boogie Nights" into the search box and hit enter, it returns one result - the single disc version.

As far as a sale, there is no listing of Boogie Nights in last week or this upcoming week's circulars.

Damin -- it was discussed here at length. Here is one thread in particular that uses the IMAGE site as a reference.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, do what you did again, and this time scroll down a bit to the area where it lists the individual variations, including VHS releases, and you will see that the 2nd listing in that group is the (2PK). You'll see it headlined by the title "5 formats to choose from:".

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ah, I see now. I'm not sure that's an effective way to note multiple versions. On my computer, that list is "under the fold" as they say....

If I were actually buying that DVD, I would have moved on to another site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks