What's new

BluePrint Drivers gone?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

When I put in the 1x2 'X' on the internal panels I glued them down and nailed them with the 2" side down. I used this method more for convenience sake more than anything. I noticed you had the 1" side down and, IIRC, you used apoxy. Will my method affect the rigidity much?

Brian

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Haven't actually weighed it. I'd guess ~160lbs. Remember the driver itself weighs ~50lbs. Built the cab in the basement, hand carried it empty up stairs to install the driver and PR's
It seems that from my estimates if I do double layer MDF (no bracing in calculations) that the sub will be 220lbs. Eeeeek!

Seth

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Brian
With the Rava-Too I used quick-set epoxy because I couldn't easily get my brad nailer inside the cab. Normally I just use TiteBond II and just air-nail the braces in place. Mounting the oak the other direction won't make any difference.
Seth
Mass is good :)
If weight is an issue use the doubled apple or marine ply and good interior bracing. That will result in higher materials cost, but the weight will be a lot lower

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Seth, that is gonna be one hell of a heavyweight sub!!
Cam,

That concerns me a quite a bit. I may go with a single layer of 3/4" marine grade plywood with steel angle iron bracing inside to try to lighten it up. I should be able to get it under 130lbs in that configuration.

Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Turns out I had a flaw in my calculations. Here are my weight estimates (less internal bracing)

single 3/4" MDF - 160lbs

single 3/4" Marine grade plywood - 135lbs

double 3/4" MDF - 240lbs

double 3/4" Marine grade plywood - 185lbs

Seth

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Thomas! That's what I wanted to hear. Since the cabinet is 21" cubed internally there was not an issue with getting the gun (or my whole head!) inside. My dad has a Paslode finish nailer and this sucker is awesome. It's a bit loud compared to air powered nailer, but it sure is nice not having to deal with a compressor, which is even louder.

One thing I have noticed is that the Titebond glue seems to set up quicker than the Elmer's wood glue I normally use.

Brian

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>Mass is good

====

Been there, done that and it has its uses, but for the size cab and components being considered here I don't see the point. The CB cab design is actually larger and has considerably more excursion capability, but is still sufficiently rigid using a single 3/4" BB cab and one vented shelf brace.

GM

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Thanks Brian.

When it comes to cabinet mass, heavier the better but make certain you can fit it thru the doors and hallways of your home or you might be disappointed.

Cam S

Screenwriter
how would you go about movine a 200+ lb subwoofer, that has a sub on the bottom, and 4 Pr's on the sides?? you couldn't use a dolly, and there isn't much to grab onto. so what do ya do, aseemble exactly where it will be placed in your room? :D

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Being a believer that bottom firing subs should have a solid baseplate, moving them with a handtruck is a piece-o-cake. ;) A blanket or similar between the PR/handtruck is sufficient.
GM

Seth_L

Screenwriter
how would you go about movine a 200+ lb subwoofer, that has a sub on the bottom, and 4 Pr's on the sides?? you couldn't use a dolly, and there isn't much to grab onto. so what do ya do, aseemble exactly where it will be placed in your room? :D
Cam,
I'm not building it the way you're envisioning. I'm not putting a downward firing cone and a PR on each side. I thought about it for all of 5 minutes before deciding against it. I'm going to put two PR's on a side mounted ancipodally (sp?) from the driver on the side. I don't believe this well present a problem. I'm also very likely to go with the 135lb design, not the 240lb design.
Seth

Cam S

Screenwriter
I have a question for all you electronic guys.

I have a Klipsch KSW-10 subwoofer, and it has a little LEDlight on the front of it that light sup green when it's on and red when it's off. Would I be able to duplicate this LED on/off light on the AVA250 plate amp?? If so, how owuld I go about doing it, and has anyone even done this before?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The AVA250 already has a green/red led. How you'd pull that lead off and wire it to a different location though I don't know.

Cam S

Screenwriter
hmm, thanks Dustin, I'll have to keep looking about that.

BTW, has anyone experienced the Tinsel Leads of the Shiva/Tempests slapping against the cone of the sub?? I have heard some poeple complainging about that and would like to know how to fix it (if it happens) on my Shiva when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks