What's new

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Unfortunately, when I try to fill in the form, as soon as I fill in my country (United Kingdom) - the "submit" button at the foot of the form disappears, making it impossible to send. Can this be amended as I desperately want to receive the replacement blu ray.

Edit: It didn't work on my iMac but when I tried on my iPad it did!
Kino don't ship to the U.K. Did you buy your disc from another seller?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The form includes a box to specify the country, which indicates Kino will send outside the US. I recall receiving replacement discs to me in the U.K. sent from both Disney and Warner. Hopefully Kino can do the same.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Got mine from WowHD. As I said in my original post, the replacement link didn't seem to work on my desktop iMac but it did on my iPad Air. (And, yes, I got an acknowledgment email just after I managed to send the form). Good for Kino - if they do send me a replacement here in the UK!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There's another reason for hesitating to purchase. I can't believe Matt didn't mention this in his review. It drives me nuts. The Kino reissue doesn't have an Index, there isn't a Chapter menu, and, indeed, the 20 chapters, with individual chapters for each number, found on the Universal DVD have been dumped. Kino provides 11 chapters, mostly for dialogue scenes. If you wanna find "Puttin' on the Ritz,' you have to go fishing. Yes, the image and sound have been improved, but the disc's accessibility is zilch. A real outrage. That's what a Kino recall should correct.
Sounds like one if the old fashion "play only" MODs!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can we confidently say that all stockists will now only be supplying the corrected disc? I’ve been hesitating to buy from the U.K. until I’m sure.
Hard to say as it depends on the retailer and their inventory. I don't believe there was any actual recall, so those that still have copies of the first disc in stock may still be shipping them.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Great news - my corrected “Blue Skies” blu-ray arrived here in Scotland today. Thanks, Kino for taking the trouble to ship this to UK addresses.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm a bit miffed.

I was one of the first to receive the original disc (about a week before release date).

I was the first to report the problem

I should have been the first to get the corrected disc

It's almost a week, and still no replacement. "Until the water reaches my lower lip, and then I'm gonna mention it to SOMEBODY!"

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I can't understand why blu ray releases of musicals don't index the musical numbers. That would seem an elementary necessity. Omission is either carelessness or sheer stupidity. One would expect better from Kino, which seems exemplary in bringing us so much otherwise neglected product.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kino sent me a copy of the corrected edition of Blue Skies for review. I have amended the original review with comments on the issue of Fred Astaire's tap dubs. I will also copy those comments at the end of this post so you don't have to go back into the review proper to see my thoughts. I will say that I could see no obvious markings on the case or disc to differentiate the original disc from the revised one. Here are my amended comments:

Revised Audio – 4.5/5

In Kino’s corrected edition of the DTS-HD 2.0 mono sound mix of Blue Skies, the issues with Fred Astaire’s tap solos within four numbers have been addressed. In “Puttin’ on the Ritz” and “A Couple of Song and Dance Men” particularly, the tap sounds are crisp and very present greatly enhancing one’s enjoyment of the dancing skills he’s conveying. They’re also now present more distinctly in the “Heat Wave” number though perhaps not quite as dynamic as they might have been. They are still a bit light and indistinct in his opening dance “A Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody,” enough so that you might think at that moment that the disc’s audio problems hadn’t been corrected, but things do improve with the other numbers.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Can we confidently say that all stockists will now only be supplying the corrected disc? I’ve been hesitating to buy from the U.K. until I’m sure.
Doug, did you end up getting hold of the corrected version of Blue Skies?

I’ve also hesitated ordering this for months now, as I’m uncertain which retailer listings are for the corrected version, or whether it’s just a roll of the dice.

With shipping times of 3 to 6 weeks to these parts, I‘m wary of placing an order, finding upon receipt that it’s the flawed version, and then having to wait another several weeks for a replacement disc.

I’d be grateful for any assistance you or other members here extend.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I’ve also hesitated ordering this for months now, as I’m uncertain which retailer listings are for the corrected version, or whether it’s just a roll of the dice.

With shipping times of 3 to 6 weeks to these parts, I‘m wary of placing an order, finding upon receipt that it’s the flawed version, and then having to wait another several weeks for a replacement disc.

Sorry, no. I’m still waiting to ensure the corrected version will be sent from retailers like rarewaves.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

my friend why don't you reach out to kino

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
my friend why don't you reach out to kino
Thank you, Robert. I haven’t checked for a while, but in the past Kino did not do international sales, so I didn’t even think to contact them.

However, you are right, I’ll try contacting them directly to see if they can at least advise on how to ensure I buy the correct version.

Matt‘s earlier comments in this thread that there were no differences in the packaging to distinguish the two versions, together with Malcolm’s reasonable assessment that retailers likely wouldn’t replace their stock until the first version was sold out (as this wasn’t a product recall) also made me think it might have to be a lucky dip from me.

But there’s definitely no harm in asking the question of Kino - thank you.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Sorry, no. I’m still waiting to ensure the corrected version will be sent from retailers like rarewaves.
Thank you , Doug. I’ll take up Robert’s suggestion to see if Kino can provide helpful advice about this purchase. If I get helpful info, I’ll post here.

Would you please also post any info, should rarewaves prove to be helpful? I’ve bought from them several times via their Amazon and eBay shopfronts, so I know they ship to Australia.

Thanks again.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thank you , Doug. I’ll take up Robert’s suggestion to see if Kino can provide helpful advice about this purchase. If I get helpful info, I’ll post here.

Would you please also post any info, should rarewaves prove to be helpful? I’ve bought from them several times via their Amazon and eBay shopfronts, so I know they ship to Australia.

Thanks again.
Hey my friend call me Bob!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks