What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Irving Berlin’s usually buoyant tunes take on a decidedly melancholy tone in Stuart Heisler’s post-World War II musical Blue Skies, unsurprisingly matching the unsettled mood of the country after a devastating world war.

Blue Skies (1946)

Released: 16 Oct 1946
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 99 min

Director: Stuart Heisler, Mark Sandrich
Genre: Comedy, Musical, Romance

Cast: Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Joan Caulfield
Writer(s): Arthur Sheekman, Allan Scott, Irving Berlin

Plot: An ex-dancer and New York radio star narrates his love story for a band singer who loved a self-centered man who was unable to commit to his nightclub business or his family.

IMDB rating: 6.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
So we have to wait for the reissue. Kino usually does such a great job for us that it's a shame to see this happen. Someone must be entrusted with the job of comparing a finished Blu ray project with the best original source .. even to see how it compares to the very last DVD issue! It's obviously not worth purchasing in this state.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
So we have to wait for the reissue. Kino usually does such a great job for us that it's a shame to see this happen. Someone must be entrusted with the job of comparing a finished Blu ray project with the best original source .. even to see how it compares to the very last DVD issue! It's obviously not worth purchasing in this state.
To each their own, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Just imagine you're watching a silent film. Or clap along with his toe tapping. Not the same, I understand, but I love this film and I'm getting it. For me, watching those movements is what counts, not so much the sound. Of course, that's just me. Perfection is wonderful, but I'll take what I can get. Anyway, never say never, but I doubt this will be reissued.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
To each their own, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Just imagine you're watching a silent film. Or clap along with his toe tapping. Not the same, I understand, but I love this film and I'm getting it. For me, watching those movements is what counts, not so much the sound. Of course, that's just me. Perfection is wonderful, but I'll take what I can get. Anyway, never say never, but I doubt this will be reissued.
Kino has nothing to do with this problem and I wonder if Universal even has the tap tracks etc or any tracks on the film what elements do they really have on the film - too bad Universal cannot clarify Thankfully Kino has greenlighted corrected discs. Was it on Universals end?

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kino has nothing to do with this problem and I wonder if Universal even has the tap tracks etc or any tracks on the film what elements do they really have on the film - too bad Universal cannot clarify
Up in the Kino Thoughts thread., it's being said that Kino is reviewing the situation presently and will issue a recall program if so justified.

JFKarr

Grip
Real Name
John Karr
There's another reason for hesitating to purchase. I can't believe Matt didn't mention this in his review. It drives me nuts. The Kino reissue doesn't have an Index, there isn't a Chapter menu, and, indeed, the 20 chapters, with individual chapters for each number, found on the Universal DVD have been dumped. Kino provides 11 chapters, mostly for dialogue scenes. If you wanna find "Puttin' on the Ritz,' you have to go fishing. Yes, the image and sound have been improved, but the disc's accessibility is zilch. A real outrage. That's what a Kino recall should correct.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There's another reason for hesitating to purchase. I can't believe Matt didn't mention this in his review. It drives me nuts. The Kino reissue doesn't have an Index, there isn't a Chapter menu, and, indeed, the 20 chapters, with individual chapters for each number, found on the Universal DVD have been dumped. Kino provides 11 chapters, mostly for dialogue scenes. If you wanna find "Puttin' on the Ritz,' you have to go fishing. Yes, the image and sound have been improved, but the disc's accessibility is zilch. A real outrage. That's what a Kino recall should correct.
You must not collect many Kino discs because they haven't been putting scene selection menus on their discs for quite a while. Yes, Warner Archive offers instant access to musical numbers in musicals, but even they don't do scene menus any more. The review I posted of A Star Is Born yesterday had fifty chapters, but if I wanted to jump to the scene where Gaynor imitates Garbo, there's no instant access to it via a menu. Criterion still does it, of course.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Everyone is cutting back out of necessity and chapter stops and menu pages for them take time, effort, cost more for authoring, and don’t increase sales potentials. As someone who’s job it once was to actually create chapter stops, I’m sorry they’ve been mostly lost, but I get it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
clint eastwood kids GIF

Heck, I remember the days ya not only got chapter stops but you got a paper insert with the disc describing them to you! Punks these days!

j/k :D

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Watched mine today and it's definitely worth getting for the picture quality alone. Glad Kino is going to fix the tap issue. I can kind of hear the taps but they sound as If like they are a far away echo.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hate not getting musical number chapters in musicals. These are musicals!
I often pull out my favourite musicals ... and want to hear just two or three favourite songs. This lack of musical chapter authoring is a really cheapskate step, totally inappropriate given the source.
This practice isn't an economy; it's a travesty.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Unfortunately, when I try to fill in the form, as soon as I fill in my country (United Kingdom) - the "submit" button at the foot of the form disappears, making it impossible to send. Can this be amended as I desperately want to receive the replacement blu ray.

Edit: It didn't work on my iMac but when I tried on my iPad it did!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks