What's new

Blu-ray music albums target replacement of SACD and DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I am a firm believer in computer audio for reference fidelity. Nothing so far has compared to the fine digital recordings I've played back on my reference DAC/headphone setup.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Bobby Henderson said:
I disagree with the notion 16-bit 44.1kHz audio (Red Book CD standard) surpasses anything the human ear can hear. It may go to the upper 20kHz and lower 20Hz limits of most ears. But that bit depth and sample rate doesn't capture all of the detail in the audible frequency range.
That isn't true. Within the audible frequency range, the resolution is identical. According to the Nyquist Theory, 16 bit / 44.1 is able to precisely reproduce any audible waveform to about a 90dB dynamic range. The additional bandwidth in "hires" files is all devoted to ultra low volume information and frequencies humans can't hear. This might be useful for mixing and mastering, but for playing back music in the home it adds nothing you can hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks