What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have a Sony & it has a subtitle button (I thought they all did). You press it to turn the subtitles on & off & to go through the various languages, if the disc has them.

martinfish

Auditioning
Real Name
martin fisher
Keith: By coincidence I also have a Panasonic blu-ray player and following your suggestion I used the display button (for the first time!) on the remote and sure enough was able to turn off the sub- titles and I am now looking forward to viewing Violent Saturday, which I saw many years ago, all over again.

I am very grateful and many thanks.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the French BRD of Violent Saturday last night. I too was astonished by the quality of this presentation. Didn't Hugo Friedhofer's score sound good? Many, many years ago I saw this film a few times on the big screen but never like this.

I'm no grain detective but I was startled by the lack of grain in the images. I imagine those grain detectives who believe BRDs should look like a faded, seventh generation film print in a re-run theater will claim that DNR has been used, but I didn't notice any smearing of detail, any "waxiness" in actors' faces.

I've heard Violent Saturday might be offered to Twilight Time. If so, presumably they won't also be offered Carlotta's feature with William Friedkin.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Has anyone picked up The Killer Elite? It is one my favorite, but largely forgotten Sam Peckinpah films.

David Com

Agent
Has anyone picked up The Killer Elite? It is one my favorite, but largely forgotten Sam Peckinpah films.
I have it. Two versions of the film: the complete American version, and a shorter European version. Nice transfer, better than my old non-anamorphic DVD. Subtitles are removable with the subtitle button on my remote, once the movie starts playing.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
War & Peace 1956
El Dorado 196

Blu's being released on 11 September.

I've seen this on a couple of sites, I checked Amazon France & it looks like they're coming from Paramount & not licensed out to a local disributor, & if that's the case I'm sure they'll be released in other countries.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Billy Batson said:
War & Peace 1956
El Dorado 196

I've seen this on a couple of sites, I checked Amazon France & it looks like they're coming from Paramount & not licensed out to a local disributor, & if that's the case I'm sure they'll be released in other countries.
I'd be interested in both of them . . . if they're done properly of course.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Billy Batson said:
War & Peace 1956
El Dorado 196

And Hatari

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
War and Peace is a VistaVision film and as this is being released by Paramount directly, it will be interesting to see if any other VistaVision films follow. VistaVision releases have ground to a halt as neither Olive nor Warners seem to have any in the pipeline.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Coming September:

9161hsaDyjL._SL1500_.jpg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Up for preorder on Amazon.fr is the 3 movie James Dean BD set (East of Eden, Rebel without a Cause, Giant) Listed as Oct 2, 2013.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
French company Carlotta Films are releasing Kiss Me Deadly (amongst others) on blu-ray during October/November. Their releases are well produced with excellent transfers and good extras.
I wonder if it's the same transfer Criterion used for their Zone A locked BRD.

David Com

Agent
Just received the French Blu-ray of "The Kremlin Letter." It is marked Region B on the back cover, but plays in my Oppo when it is set for Region A, so it looks like it's region free. Subs are removable with the subtitle button once the movie starts to play.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Just watched the French Blu-Ray of Tobruk.Disc is from Filmedia.PQ is much better than the German DVD that I have, detail, colour, contrast are all much better. It seems quite grainy, but it looks pretty good on my 42 inch TV. AR is 2.35:1.Running time is 109 minutes though it states 176 minutes on the cover. The cover also states region B, but it plays fine on my region A locked player.There is a choice of English sound with French subtitles or French sound. The French subtitles can be switched off with the remote.Only extra is a trailer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If anyone likes Silent Hill and hasn't been too happy with the UK or USA releases then i recommend buying the French release, it has all the extras in French but every single one of them is subtitled, it's also a Region ABC release so will work worldwide, i feel image quality is improved over past releases and it's a director approved version.

A mouseover comparison between the way the old editions looked and the French release.

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/2011/04/09/hd-comparisons-silent-hill/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks